Post color editing - after effects

Dilemma: I have an architectural animation that I completed for a client several months ago which contains 10-12 buildings. The owner of the property has decided to change a couple materials. To save tome time, I planned to simply create some matte layers to use as selections to apply a hue and saturation adjustment in after effects. The problem is, I can't get it to work. I have saved png files with only the new color showing up in the image. Everything else is rendered as transparent background using matte object with vray and 3ds max (effect alpha -1 in the v-ray properties). It is saving the frame as I expected, but I can't seem to get an adjustment layer to only use the alpha from this new rendered png to work the way I want. my comp looks like this:

Layer 1: adjustment layer with hue and saturation applied. Set matte effect has the take matte from layer set on "test.png"

Layer 2: original rendered frame

Layer 3: test.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have tried several options for several hours, and I can't seem to make it work.

First click on the Toggle Switches/ Modes button at the bottom of the timeline. After you do that you should see a TrkMat column in your timeline next to Parent.

Also, I misfired earlier.... You will want to place the Adjustment Layer below the Solid and set the TrkMat for the Adjustment Layer to "alpha matte" or "inverted alpha matte". Whichever suits your needs.