Lycos screensaver to blitz spam servers

Jeff Mottle

I've already downloaded mine!

Having been IDed as a spammer by the blacklisting sites due to address spoofing, i certainly HOPE that the target sites for these Robin Hood 'denial-of-service' styled attacks are well screened. I have three sites and like most of us, am on the hook for bandwidth charges.

I'm pretty sure I had to tag cgarchitect.com as 'friend' to the SPAM filters to keep it from getting flagged.

• Administrators
Having been IDed as a spammer by the blacklisting sites due to address spoofing, i certainly HOPE that the target sites for these Robin Hood 'denial-of-service' styled attacks are well screened. I have three sites and like most of us, am on the hook for bandwidth charges.

I'm pretty sure I had to tag cgarchitect.com as 'friend' to the SPAM filters to keep it from getting flagged.

Yeah them mention on the screensaver DL site how they use spamcop filters initally and then use people to manually verify them before they add the to their DoD attack. CGA newsletters would show up as spam on almost all filters becuase of the nature of how they are sent out. However I don't send to 8 million people and all the people on our newsletters are double opt-in. I think everyone would have to report CGA to Spamcop or similar to be targetted.

And this is exactly what I wanted to do to 'junk fax'ers' by using an internet dialer to repeatedly call their toll-free numbers (it's not toll-free to THEM), I just never found out how to set up the dialer. Same concept, though.

Overall, its a wonderful idea, because at some point a spammer or telemarketer or junk fax'er must have a way to generate cash. There more we can raise the costs to them of generating that cash (our cash) the less they can operate. They aren't doing it to be pests, that's just a side-effect.

Yeah them mention on the screensaver DL site how they use spamcop filters initally and then use people to manually verify them before they add the to their DoD attack.

My point, exactly. CGA is NOT spamming, I requested it. Yet it still get IDed as a spam sourse, as does my domain.

Maybe if this initiative takes off it will force sites like SpamCop to do a better job of IDing spammers, or else face lawsuits from people wrongly tagged and them hit with thousands of dollars of bandwidth charges. The potential damage is quite high, so this raises the stakes for the filters.

• 3 weeks later...