*** CGarchitect.com Moves to a Dedicated Server ***

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Well as promised CGarchitect moved to a dedcated server over the weekend. Things took a little longer then planned which was why log-in for image submissions and the forum were closed. I had to make sure that nothing new was added to the old server. Here are some stats on what took place:

1. CGarchitect.com was previously hosted on a shared Alentus.com server. Over the past few weeks things started to finally catch up to us. If in this time you noticed the site becoming slower, you were getting server errors or you were being rejected from the site altogether, this was due to the overwealming traffic that the shared server could not handle.

2. The move took place over the weekend and everything was migrated to a dedicated server. For those that are intersted in the tech specs of the new server head to this link:

http://www.alentus.com/dedicated/servers.asp

We are now on the Standard Edition server. On top of this we also pay for bandwidth, backups, and MSSQL databases, so as you can tell this move was not cheap! Please keep visiting our sponsors as that is the only thing that pays for the site.

3. During the migration I also enable a PHP accelerator on the forums, so you should all see a noticeble speed increase while nanvagting on the forums.

If you notice or see anyhting that is out of place or is not functioning properly please let me know ASAP at jmottle@cgarchitect.com. I'd also love to hear that the site in general is much quicker to navagate. I noticed a considerable increase myself, but would like to know if other feel the same way.

CGarchitect.com is growing fast and there is still lots more to come!

[ December 02, 2002, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Mottle ]

hi jeff,

seems to be really quick for me.... ;)

but i must check later in the evening, cause normaly the site is much quicker at night than in the morning for me.

but never so quick like today....

.....congrats for the step above. ;)

nuno

Jeff, I still having a wishlist.

I always wanted that every image passed the browser kept in my cache, so it'll be quicker to load for next time visit. But I still see the same problem, your server doesn't allow this (even today). I'm sure this will do benefit for increasing speed while browsing this lovely forum.

Many thanks Jeff :)

All looks good so far from here. Happy to not see the notice that the forums are still migrating in any case. :)

Jeff, can you give us an idea of how visits to site sponsors can be arranged to best benefit CGarchitect? My assumption is that 50 'clicks' in a day by a single user whouldn't be much better than 1.

• Administrators

Yes you are correct in that simply clicking the banner 50 times is not a great idea. The best bet is to visit them one or twice a day, check out their site and see what's new. While the later is not a requirement to count a banner click, it is nice considerng that the sponsors are doing a great deal to support the site.

If their are other companies that you would liek to see advertsing on the site, please let me know. If you have contacts at these companies even better.

Jeff, can you give us an idea of how visits to site sponsors can be arranged to best benefit CGarchitect? My assumption is that 50 'clicks' in a day by a single user whouldn't be much better than 1.