Horizontal setup

F Suarez

Hy guys,

Not sure if this is the adequate subforum - please move or delete if it isn't - and actually I was a bit hesitant to write and post about it, but maybe it inspires others, so here it goes.

I'm tetraplegic, I must stay in bed in a completely horizontal position for health reasons at least 16h per day, and I have very reduced hand dexterity and almost no hand sensibility, so I'm not exactly the best candidate to make any kind of design work. However, to partially circumvent these problems I designed from scratch several supports, for the screen and speakers, and another one to hold the keyboard in an inverted position. Images attached.

It allows me to watch movies, listen to music, write, and all other related PC activity, everything while being in a horizontal position.

In the last 6 years I started using Sketchup for my projects - including this setup - and lately I've diving more and more into 3D. I guess it's one way to escape the physical limitations. Some persons do bungee jumping, I stay in bed. :)

Anyway, I work rather slowly, for obvious reasons, and I've a huge amount of stuff to learn, you'll probably see me here making stupid questions, but today only really wanted to show this peculiar setup.

If you know someone with similar limitations, don't hesitate to reconmend this type of stuff, it can work surprisingly well.

Thanks for reading.

big6.jpg

big1.jpg

001.jpg

000.jpg

002.jpg

Thanks for posting/sharing. Very clean, efficient set-up.

I can see you were looking around for some studs. Kudos to you for keep your spirits/interests up.

What do they say "the only stupid question is the one not asked"? So ask away.

Suarez is my mother's maiden name. Any relatives in Arizona?

Thanks for the posts, guys.

what is the benefit to mounting the speakers in such a manner as opposed to placing them at head level to the left/right of your bed on regular speaker stands?

To fully get the stereo effect the speakers should be in front of the listener, making an equilateral triangle with our ears. So, at least in theory, I get better quality music this way.

Placing at head level to the left and right in my room wasn’t practical, I’m dependent of others for most things and access to the bed is imperative.

It’s not a perfect solution, last month one of the speakers fell on the floor, but since they aren’t directly above it didn’t hit me. It served as a reminder that the LCD screen may one day decide to quickly descend into my cranium, these screens aren’t built to be horizontal, but no way around that.

Suarez is my mother's maiden name. Any relatives in Arizona?

As most other countries in Europe, many from here went to the US in the last 100 years, but I think I don’t have close relatives in Arizona.

Honestly, i think you are over-thinking the audio. If you are using limited-range bookshelf speakers, that difference is imperceptible when compared to the practicality of the mounting. Now, if you were using near field studio monitors in an acoustically treated and tuned room, then perhaps it would make a difference. I totally understand about the full access part, though.

Have you thought about getting in-ceiling speakers in such a case or is it not possible due to the construction?

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii

Honestly, i think you are over-thinking the audio. If you are using limited-range bookshelf speakers, that difference is imperceptible when compared to the practicality of the mounting. Now, if you were using near field studio monitors in an acoustically treated and tuned room, then perhaps it would make a difference. I totally understand about the full access part, though. i[/url]

Having access is the main obstacle, really, the only other alternative was simply getting a pair of cheap and light PC speakers and somehow 'glue' them to the wall.

Have you thought about getting in-ceiling speakers in such a case or is it not possible due to the construction?

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii

I have. My ceiling is concrete, though, so it wasn't possible.

If I had to do everything again, I'd still make this type of speaker stand, but perhaps go with smaller speakers, for safety reasons, and choose a sub + satelites combo.