Bump map distorting in V-ray for Sketchup

kelvintaylor

Hello, I am relatively new to V-Ray for Sketchup. I've been trying to add a bump map to my walls to add a drywall texture. However whenever I render it appears to be tearing and distorting. I'm sure this is a pretty simple problem but I'm not having any luck fixing it.

I'm using the newest version of V-ray and Sketchup. Here's a picture to a render

BumpMap Test Rendering1.jpg

bumpmap settings.jpg

The issue may be geometry. See if there are overlapping normals/faces, hidden edges, softened edges first. Bump doesn't alter geometry, so it is unlikely to be associated with that.

Also, you should have two diffuse layers, using one as a means to control how the bump will be mapped to the face. At the moment, you have a diffuse colour and a bump map, but there is nothing connecting the two - so you have no way to control the size of the bump map in terms of how it appears on the faces of the walls.

I am not on my computer with vray right now so I can;t recall the exact way to set this up, will post later if no one else does. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm certain it isn't any hidden geometry causing this issue, I was also having similar issues with various vismats I've been using. Could it be something to do with the extrusion for the TV? Also in case its relevant. The light switches and power switches are separate groups to the wall of course.

RU9TcBP.png

Edited by kelvintaylor

I've had this issue before. Materials with bump that have no diffuse texture (image) can distort in SU. Use an image texture on the diffuse (i usually apply a white empty image). If you don't want the image to interfere with your render, add a "fake" one (add a diffuse layer, black transparency with a white map. SU will show the diffuse, but it will be invisible for the render)

Seems like bump maps needs some size/dimension reference to work correctly in SketchUp.