Closed Thread

Thread: Not much activity on here

Name
    Richard Birket
    Forum Username
    richardbirket

United Kingdom

Default Not much activity on here

I must admit that I have been distracted with work lately so haven't made any real progress with this project. Not really sure how I will fit it in despite best efforts.

One of the main issues I am finding at the moment is working with these models. I figured that importing the Revit model at maximum quality ('15' on the slider, Spinal Tap logic!) would yield the best import as I have a reasonably high end machine to work on. The wireframe in the viewport of 3dsmax looked good - the curved geometry (of the Console Transfer Office) looked nice and smooth.

Sadly, even my workstation couldn't handle the 20-30 million polygons that this file was made up from. I went back to the drawing board and tried again with the slider set to '10'. This has yielded an 8 million poly scene which seems more manageable, but even with basic coloured materials applied (Vray 3.0) and a simple vray sun/sky system, the rendered result looks pretty awful: almost like a watercolour effect! Very strange.

Basically, I am finding it a struggle to get going on this scheme, and I wondered how others were finding it? I wondered if the lack of activity here meant there hadn't been much take up on the competition. Of course, there could have been a massive take up, but people are just working 'in secret'!

(Another thing I might as is that the renders that have been created to promote the competition look darn impressive. If I had created one of those, I'd be happy!)

Name
    Nicolai Bongard
    Forum Username
    nicolaibongard

Norway

Default Re: Not much activity on here

I downloaded all the files, tried to import to 3ds max, some worked - others gave a lot of errors, lost interest and gave up.

Name
    Richard Birket
    Forum Username
    richardbirket

United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by nicolaibongard View Post
    I downloaded all the files, tried to import to 3ds max, some worked - others gave a lot of errors, lost interest and gave up.
    I completely understand.

Name
    Scott Schroeder
    Forum Username
    VelvetElvis

United States

It's a struggle for sure. It's too close to what I do 8+ hours a day. Even pushing myself to think outside of what everyone is might do, it's still hard. Plus only 3 very limited spaces isn't a lot to work with. Each space has about 1-2 good camera views, which have already been covered in the press release images. I want to do something that the judges are not going to see 100 carbon copies of, but that has become too taxing for something I do in my free time. I think you are going to see a lot of student and hobbyist interest in this one, but little from the professional side.

I've had no issue with Max though. You really never want to link or import directly from Revit from this type of architecture into Max. You want to use DWG's exported from Revit for the curved surfaces as they import cleanly. That way you won't get 10,000,000 extra verts like Revit curved surfaces do. The unintended part of this whole competition is that it has exposed some very glaring gaps in Autodesk's Revit -> Max workflow, especially within the 2016 suite. Ones that we all know and love to deal with on a daily basis.

These types of competitions are tough to do. You have to create guidelines to protect the historical accuracy of the space, but you also need to loosen them up to allow some creative freedom. Which, I feel this competition has done by the way. Yet, you also need a interesting building. And this building is a bank, a very banky bank. Especially from the exterior and the only interesting facade, the Threadneedle Street facade, we can't do at this time.

Maybe when some of the WIP's get posted by the committee we'll see some renewed interest. For me, I think I am going to focus on the CGArchitect awards instead.
    Scott S.

Name
    Christopher Kowal
    Forum Username
    blowback

Canada

Interesting...... Contests are always trying, especially as a professional, it can be strenuous to get up when you do this for 8+ hrs a day. On the other hand this can also be an excellent chance to exercise your artistic and conceptual abilities which sometimes is a challenge in our daily viz situations. I am excited to work on this competition. I think what has me interested the most is the consideration of history vis-a-vis 3D visualization. Specifically architectural or site history. There has been some interesting work in historical re-creation whether it's in a educational or fine art context. I look forward to seeing people's interpretations.

In regards to workflo, I use the FBX files when I have compatibility or geometry issues as I am working in Max 2015 and I found this to be rather dependable.

Closed Thread

Thread Information