Best method for exterior walls

ericfleming

Hi all,

I am trying to learn 3D architecture visualization and I am in the early stages of study.

I am using a book titled, "3D Max Design Architecture Visualization" by Brian Smith (with other supporting authors). In this book he explains a preferred method in creating exterior walls using Loft & ProBooleans (staring on page 114). I've tried this method and it seems to work well especially in relation to cutting out the window and door areas.

The example in the book has an exterior wall with a total even height all around the building (see green wall in attached sample image). I am currently working on a cottage type of house that has several peaks along the roof line and I am wondering how to best approach this type of exterior wall where the roof line varies (see purple wall in attached sample image). I'm looking for a way to perform a loft type of function that will take into account the peaks and I'm not sure if what would be the best method...a method that would later allow for the ProBoolean tool to cut out the window and door areas.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

sampleImage.JPG

I wouldn't model it that way at all. I'd model it polygon by polygon the same as in this (excellent) video:

You can probably skip to about 15 minutes.

The problem with booleans is that whilst they can achieve what you want in a quick time, they leave you with crappy geometry/topology/edge flow, so making edits after is a real pain, and they don't play nice with things such as turbosmooth/subdivision.