Stone wall displacement

D C

Hello there!

I've been playing around with VrayDisplacement a lot more recently, but I'm struggling to produce the varied soft and hard edges show in the photos.

I'm pretty sure I've got the displacement settings nailed, but I think my textures are letting me down. Or maybe there is more to this than Displacement?

I've tried creating a version of the texture attached for a displacement map (levels in PS etc) but I don't get any 'pop' and the displacement pics up detail (even after bluring) that I don't wish to see! I've seen examples of VrayDisplacement and a normals map being used in conjunction???

If anyone has any advice, that would be awesome.

ssssBrickFacade0027_1_M.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

You know displacement (and bump mapping) works by pushing light (+RGB 128) areas outwards along their normal? Just trace over your map with a suitable dark brush to push in the mortar, and then select in between the parts you just painted and fill them accordingly with a lighter colour.

Yes Chris, I'm aware of that of course :) I think it may just require more time working with the texture.

Try these (I haven't, but they should work).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54225[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54226[/ATTACH]

Cheers!

Works for me, only took a couple of minutes in photoshop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54227[/ATTACH]

That's similar to what I came out with initially, but I wanted a little more form on stone!

It's not perfect but see attached.

BrickFacade0027_1_M.jpg

Test.jpg