Problems perspective/camera matching tilt-shifted footage

sconlogue

Hi, I typically use Syntheyes to cam match shots, but for this project I am being provided images/video shot on a Canon 5D mark II with a tilt-shift lens instead of a standard lens. I have confirmed with Russ Anderson (Developer of Syntheyes) that the software will not work with this lens.

So basically the issue is the verticals are corrected to remain vertical even though the camera is pitching up a good 20 or 30 degrees which would normal cause them all to lean inward toward the center. Like what you can do with the Max physical camera or Vray Physical camera.

Anyone have some best practices to share when cam matching footage shot this way in Max?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Sam,

Forgive the fact that I am supplying an answer that is not my own, but Carlos would tell you to use PS to add space to the bottom of the image in order to center the horizon line. This way you can avoid having to use any shift or rotation on your camera. It works pretty well, but as you already know, tilt/shifted images are never easy to match and there is bound to be concessions.

Cat pass? A giant one to hide the base of your building?

Good luck.

Hey Corey,

Ha ha, that is exactly what Carlos just told me to try. I hadn't even thought of that! Though by this time I had done a hand match with tilt and shift values that work pretty well. Now getting accurate existing condition measurements is a whole other issue. Thanks for the tip though! I'll try that route first next time!

P.S. I wonder if an overscan script could crafted that would allow padding and realigning the horizon in Max? Hmm..