Large format rendering (A0) in Sketchup and VRAY 2

craigbennett

Hi

Does anyone have any tips in what settings to use for such a large scene?

Its an exterior, I have had test renders and it looks good, but the A0 version is taking forever to render even at a render farm.

Im thinking my Image sampler Adaptive DMC settings might be too high 2/5 and irradiance map -3/-6 (are these the wrong way round).

Any suggestions?

Should I save out the Irradiance map and Light cache, or do you think a renderfarm should be able to cope?

I have attached the settings.

Thanks

Settings.jpg

Edited by craigbennett
More information

The settings that are optimal usually correspond to what kind of geometry you have in your scene and their materials, so it is hard to say. However, the "14k x something large" resolution you are trying to render out is completely bananas. What people here are suggesting, is that instead of spending a lot of time tuning your settings to something that may work slightly better, you should just decrease your resolution to speed it up. Since your image is supposed to be printed on A0, people will not view it from 30cm but rather 3 meters or something like that. The density of pixels will not need to be so high when viewed from 3 meters. Thus you can get away with a lower resolution render, and it will still look good when viewed from the intended distance.

Yes I appreciate that

I think there is something corrupt with my model also

I will render the scene at 5149 x 3651. This should equate to A0 at 110dpi. I've read somewhere that this is exceptable for advertsing hoardings. Ideally though I would have liked to have rendered at 7022 x 4967 (A0 at 150 dpi)

We render out these at 3500 pixels and it looks fine. If they print this stuff on cheap ass vinyl so it stands up to the weather, that is usually something around 25-50 dpi or less from a commercial print shop. At least that is the case from our print shop. We do this in the cheapest possible configuration as these things can get beat all the hell, especially if they are at ground level. Then you have some punk kid tagging your render with spray paint......

Talk to the print shop. Why guess when you can ask the source that will be printing it? A 5 minute conversation with the printer will save days of guesswork.