Lower Cost workstation: over-clocked i7 5820K (vs5960X) and potential GPU node

I'm looking into a new single processor build. I noticed a big PRICE difference between the i7 5960X and i7 5820K. ($1500AUD vs $500AUD)

It will be used as a workstation and then put to use in the render farm but possibly has potential for a good multiple GPU's renderer as the industry makes a shift.

I see the Max # of PCI Express Lanes on intelArk for the CPU's is 40 vs 28 respectively. Does this mean I'm limiting the number of GPU's I can use in SLI configuration and would this mean the max GPU's I could use then are 3 ?? ( assuming GTX 980 are being used)

Any thoughts? Has anyone run into any other limitations with an overclocked 5820K in a workstation? and should I be looking at a different build? Build cost is $3500AUD ($2570 USD), 64GB RAM, ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1, SSD, 1000WPSU, NZXT Kraken H61.

Thanks

Edited by teetooque

For cheap single core performance only, have a look at the pentium g3258.

Heya Joel, apologies for any confusion. I have changed "core" to "processor" in the original post - the g3258 would have too few cores for my needs.

• 4 weeks later...

I see the Max # of PCI Express Lanes on intelArk for the CPU's is 40 vs 28 respectively. Does this mean I'm limiting the number of GPU's I can use in SLI configuration and would this mean the max GPU's I could use then are 3 ?? ( assuming GTX 980 are being used)

Thanks

According to LinusTechTips, you'll be fine with up to 3 gpu's on 5820k.

Some points:

• We don't ask people that think "Gaming" about workstations. For example SLI is not supported or is irrelevant to most/all GPU renderers and most viewport engines today. Linus is not "stupid", he just caters for a different crowd. The above its actually especially good to know with the 10xx line of cards that won't even support more than 2-way SLI. So gamers will be stuck with 2 cards @ max, GPU renderers can have as many as PCIe ports on their system.
  • PCIe lanes have no real performance impact on multi-GPU compute, and much smaller than implied in gaming. Again, this is proven with multi-GPU crunching machines, coin miners etc...thus powered PCIe 1x -> PCIe 16x adapters are a thing, and work pretty well. People were running 5-6x cards on Pentium s1155 CPUs & 16 lanes, on motherboards with "just" 2x full 16x slots, just fine.
  • Would not hold my breath on the "industry switching" to GPGPU rendering. If you want to go this way, you can with some compromises. It has been this way for years.