Aviz Studio ATiles Pro, how well does it work?

I normally model clay tile roofs in SketchUp or Max and cut a large rectangle to the shapes of the roof, then model the ridges/hips. Or, use a displacement map.

In Max I use the free version of ATiles, but the Pro allows you to pick polys or edges to model the tiles for you. My question is, has anyone used ATiles before to know if it works on more complicated shapes than simple triangles and rectangles?

I've attached an image of the rook I need to "tile", and there is a small rectangle created form the free version in there.

Or, does anyone know of a similar solution?

Thanks for any feedback!

roof.JPG

Well, I purchased the Pro version, it does indeed work fine on complicated roofs, as loon as the planes are continuous, otherwise it will stop at edges. Also, try to select the planes along an edge, the bottom edge works best. I was having issues of the tiles being placed on an angle. It could be because this is a rather shallow roof.

I did the attached roof in about 30 minutes, which included figuring out the Pro version tools and making a custom tile for the ridges.

If you have any questions, let me know.

roof_tiled.jpg

I got the pro version as well and works like a charm. You're right, it will use the closest edge to where you clicked on that plane to orient the tiles. The only issue I had with it was that the default tiles seem to be a lot larger than normal so I've built my own and saved as presets. Really useful script!