gtx 750ti vs gtx 780

so this is it: i was working on a proyect in my home's workstation which is a fx 8350, 32gb ram, SSD and a gtx 780, out of curiosity i opened this archive in my work's workstation (i7 4770, 16gb ram, no SSD and a gtx 750ti) and it surprised me that the viewport perfomance was way better than in my own workstation, anybody knows why? is it related about the cpu? i heard better single core speed gives you better fps, but im guessing this is not the case so what else it could be?

Thank you.

The 780 is better than the 750Ti, hands down. Higher single core performance could be the reason you saw higher fps, but there are many other factors to take into account too. In CG programs the cpu contributes to the viewport performance with various ways. It depends on the software you use, its version and of course the API it is built upon.

An easy way to see how the cpu contributes in this situation is to use the gtx 780 in your work's rig and notice the fps in exactly the same scenario (scene, mode etc). Or you can do the opposite and take the 750Ti at your home's pc and try it out. Of course, you must make a clean installation of the according gpu drivers if you try this (clean=uninstall any previous driver).

If you see minor differences, then something else could be wrong, like buggy OS or software installation, a driver's issue etc. It could be hard to spot the problem sometimes.

The 780 is better than the 750Ti, hands down. Higher single core performance could be the reason you saw higher fps, but there are many other factors to take into account too. In CG programs the cpu contributes to the viewport performance with various ways. It depends on the software you use, its version and of course the API it is built upon.

An easy way to see how the cpu contributes in this situation is to use the gtx 780 in your work's rig and notice the fps in exactly the same scenario (scene, mode etc). Or you can do the opposite and take the 750Ti at your home's pc and try it out. Of course, you must make a clean installation of the according gpu drivers if you try this (clean=uninstall any previous driver).

If you see minor differences, then something else could be wrong, like buggy OS or software installation, a driver's issue etc. It could be hard to spot the problem sometimes.

I will give it a try, i will bring my gtx 780 into the work's rig and see how it goes, i use the same software in both rigs; 3ds max 2016 and vray 3.3 also both runs with windows 10, im guessing its time to migrate to intel and let this amd rig as a render node.. after all it wasnt a very big escene, just 20 million polys getting around 7fps in the amd rig and surprisingly 20 to 25 tops fps in the intel side..

Edited by raulmontiel