Vray light noise

paolopaoletti

Hi,

I am having issues when adding a light into a scene in 3ds max while using the vray.

There are some strange artifacts happening, even though I went all the way up to 32 subdivisions to all my materials and lights, however the strange artifacts are still present. Here is an image. Anyone knows how to fix the issue ?

Thanks1.jpg

what artifacts are you talking about, Low GI setting or samples noise.

One are big blobs or dark areas. the other one is small noise.

If you follow the manual, you''ll understand that there is many ways to adjust the quality of your scene, Lighting and Materials.

Depending of the version of VRay you are using, the lighting noise may be related to Probabilistic control (on V Ray3.x)

Set that value to the same amount of light in your scene.

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I tried everything, all the settings and I even tried to change the settings in lights, unless I missed something. The issue is still present. The only time when it goes away is if I delete the light which I add into the scene inside the room. The light I am using is the vray plane light which represents the light coming from the window. Please have a look in the attached image, you can see that its weird, under need the cloth it is clean and on the sheet which is exposed to light it is full of artifacts.

Thank you very muchlight 2.jpglight 2.jpg

blue render.jpg

Hi,

Thank you so much for your interest.

when I render the scene I get some sort of weird noise, I believe it is coming from the v ray light. By the way I am using 3ds max 2015 with the Vray 3.0 version.

I tried to change all the settings in the render and I watched all the tutorials on web about v ray, but none seams to be working for me. I did however after many try and error come to some sort of solution but I am not sure if that is the one I should have done since the beginning. I will add it in the attachments few images so that you can see better, one is a full render and the other one is a render with the lights only. Ok so all I did in order to resolve the issue was first to change the setting in a render under the probabilistic lights I first change it from 4 to 32 and the issue on the white wall seams to decrease significantly and when I turn off completely probabilistic light than it was even better, however the issue was still present on the bed sheet. Only after I changed the settings under image sampler(antialiasing), when I changed the min shading rate from 2 to 50, only then I was able to get read of the weird noise pattern from the bed sheet as well. Also I recently tried also to tick off the option on "divide shading shading subdivs" and it also worked well in terms of noise.Could you please tell what is happening and is it this what was causing the issue as well as did I do the right thing.

Thank you so much for your help.

all.VRayLighting (1024x577).jpg

Most of the noise in VRay can be controlled adjusting the quantity of samples. Since you are in V Ray 3.x I would recommend to reset everything to default and then Just play with Minimum shade rate and antialising values.

For instance, if you reset everything, and just render as is, it will use progressive and brute force. That should give you a decent image right away. IF you get darker Noise (Black dots) adjust the probabilistic value. Set it always to the number of the lights you have. IF you have less than 16, you can just turn it off. you lose some render performance but is very minimum.

What seems strange to me is the shapes of your Noise, usually it will be even on surfaces but your look like blobs. Did you check your mesh. Normals or anything in front of the light that you placed on your window??

Did you check the "affect shadows" on the glass material?? you could also exclude that glass from your light to avoid problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how i usually deal with noise...If there is noise in reflection pass, it is most likely from material samples, i almost always start off with 64 minimum in most of my materials.

If there is noise in Vrayrawlighting pass, it is most likely caused by overblown white areas from direct light, or from low number of samples in the light itself. In all my scenes i use .005 as noise treshold, and it has worked for me so far.

Your scene with the bed, it seems like the problem is with overblown areas, since most problematic spots in your scene are white, and curtains are really noisy too, in the areas where light hits it, check if you are not yousing 255,255,255 in your white material, as everyone is already pointing it out everywhere- no material is pure white.

Try rendering small region of noisy area, and go up on light samples, even up to 256 or 512, and/or reducing light intensity..

Hope it helped and you will figure it out.

• 1 month later...