I would really appreciate some feedback. (Newbie)

1463606866.jpg

Studio/Institution: Future portfolio piece
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3Ds Max 2014, Vray 3.0,
Description:

Hi.

I would be really grateful if you could give me some feedback on one of my renders.

The render is hopefully going to be the first in a portfolio of work. I really need some work. I'm just not sure where to go.

The irradience map is set to the low pre-set and the light cache is at 500. This is really for to speed.

Any feedback you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Hello Adam,

First of all, your scene is great, very balanced and attached to details. But you wanted a feedback, so, prepare:

- First things first, there are some issues on the celling, you can get a better look increasing the light on the scene por the shutter speed on the camera.

- If i was you i'd put some reflection texture on the floor riles to give more realism.

- And as Larissa said, the door celling has a mapping problem on the top.

Good luck dude! If you have any question, please ask and i will find someone who knows the answer... :D

Hi Guys,

I really appreciate the replies.

I've been really busy this weekend hence the slow reply.

To address this issues with scale. -

Everything in the scene is to scale. the ceilings are 240 cm and the tables is 80cm, so, i would guess it would have something to do with camera distortion? im not that much of an expert.

I Adjusted the scale of the wooden panelling. Did this help?

The issues with ceiling.

I think that this is down to the render settings as it is just a plain off white material for testing purposes. I could be wrong for sure. could you clarify if you refer to the blotches?

I have altered the shutter speed to increase light within the scene. Could you please advise as to how to bounce more light around the scene?

Also for a final note. I have implemented your feedback and uploaded a new image. Do you have any feedback on this new image and ideas how i could change the doorway.

interior002.jpg

Once again. thanks for your feedback.

Adam

Hey Adam!

The render is way better... congratulations!

But there's still some things you can do the increase the quality...

The scaling thing you did helped a lot... but lets answer yiour questions...

About the celling problem... you can increase the ISO of the camera... it is the same option used in real cameras for ilumination... but i think you will solve the celling problem increaseing the Interp. Samples on the irradiance map... something like 80 i think wil do the job... and asure you that you have any noise texture with big scale as bump on the celling material (i did that last week and only noticed i've forgot to reduce scale after 2 hours... but i think it is not your case...

For the doorway.. what you have to do is go to modifier pannel... select modifier "Poly select"... then you select only the polygons on the top of the doorway... then you add a uvw map with the same settings u used before but 90 degrees turned... you can copy and paste the same modifier... just rotate it 90 degreed...

Good luck!

Hello, Adam!

It is a very promising render, keep it up!

You got great technical feedback already, what you can also do is create some theatrical tension. If you keep it that dark and contrasted, give a special meaning to that triangle of light on the table. Either slip something inside, half way into, that will cast an interesting shadow, or bring the fruit so close to the light edge that it will get a strong bounce light, while staying in the dark.

Waiting to see your next works!

In generall, you have a good taste in composition and camera angles. As a general feedback I would say you have to work on lighting a bit more. In the second pair of images I can't really tell where is the light source of this room. I can tell is from the right because of the floor lamp but this is the only point of the image that reveals the light source. Everything else is plain. Try to produce strong shadows and lighting in every image.

Now, if you have to work on an overcasted environment where the light is not that strong, you have to setup a (lets say) "dramatic scene". Give the correct mood. But thats a whole different story.

Also, try to pop up reflection in your materials, you will see great results.

Cheers,

Christos

Im back this another scene haha.

This one is taken from an image i was in a Rolf Benz catalogue.

I'm really unsure about the lighting on the back wall. its way too over exposed but im unsure how to deal

Also if you Google 'Rolf Benz Cara' you can see the image. I really like the lighting coming through the window and am really unsure how to replicate it. ive assumed its studio lighting rather than natural but im not sure.

Also on a slightly unrelated note.

Does anyone have any information or examples of PDF portfolios. Im looking at putting one together to start applying for junior type jobs.

Any information would be vital. im really at a loss with it. Number of images, types of images, sized, other information to include.....

As always any feedback is appreciated.

Adam

001.jpg

Getting better with each render! Nice work!

The lighting on the back right coming through the windows is a bit bright. Not knowing what you are using for your lights and settings I cannot help you with the fix. Someone else would be better at helping you with that anyway since I too am still learning.

As for portfolios ... create something with only your BEST work. Quality over quantity. It is better to have 5 truly amazing pieces than 20 pieces that are only ok. Also, if you are looking into doing Arch Viz, it is best to have different image varieties - interior, exterior... and everything in between. Shows that you can do a wide range of projects. Other information to include with those images... let the images speak for themselves. No need to clutter up a page with words. If someone is interested in knowing what software you used, you can tell them during the interview. Save the words for your resume (what software you know, etc).

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...