Help vi "reflections" in vray.

pettermathisen

Please look at attachment. Im having a hard time finding the solution.

Im rendering a big scene with 3ds max 2015 and vray 3.2. Ive put together a big scene with houses in a field. Using imported objects from archicad, and used forest pack pro for the rest.

The scene looks pretty good. BUT, i can see my objects "reflecting" too much. As you can se the houses gets to much color from the ground, (green) and the reflect very much of the color of the bacony on top of the garage (yellow) u can see in the two houses in the back.

Any one know the solution to this? Please help, because this is what make me not finish the project.

vray spors.jpg

Cheers Petter

I don't want to use the "G" word :p but I think you also have a gamma problem.

Fist check all your materials, if you are using flat color do not use the maximum value of it, 255. for instance if it is green I would rather recommend to use a mid green or a texture that has not much vibrant. The same should apply for the wood texture and everything else in your scene. What you are experiencing is called color bleed and is a natural effect of light bouncing, that carries the color of the surface that bounce from, if you are using intense colors this natural effect is more accentuated.

One way to resolve this is de saturate in post. Or reduce the color intensity on the material it self.

if you still want to complete eliminate this, you can use a material overwrite and assign a mid gray color to the GI slot. But this will make your scene look fake.

Check the gamma input on your materials, they seems too intense now, everything should be default, gamma should be auto.

aha. okay i will try this tomorrow. pretty new in 3ds max you see.

and yes i am having huge problems with gamma, which i dont understand. should i use 3ds max standard lut and gamma? 1.0 or 2.2?

and where are all the other gamma settings?

im also trying to you hdri images as lightning and background. i bought the complete vizpark bondle with all this. But none seem to get any good. I think its the gamma on these also. i tried adjusting the cameras settings, but there is always something wrong.

i even cant get the white ish material override to be any good. but these i have at 255 "white". i will try to adjust this. what nr do you recommend for a white material override? 0-255.

cheers petter

What version of Max and V Ray are you using? if you have above Max 2014 you should not touch anything gamma. and if you have V Ray 3.x everything is preset, DO NOT TOUCH IT!! bad, bad gamma :p

If you are new to rendering, you have better thing to learn that going in to that rabbit hole ;) gamma it is preset, and is good that way!

I usually set my whites to 200 or 190 depending of the lighting.

If you are using HDRI from Vizpark... they have a lot of color cast, mostly bluish, so first, put a medium gray sphere in your scene, then render and adjust the white balance of your camera.

well in Max 2015 there is much you can do, just be sure that in Preferences Gamma LUT is enable and gamma is set to 2.2. also affect colors and material editor is checked. Within V Ray gamma should be 2.2

on the bitmap loader, be sure it is in auto (2.2) if the image seems to have too much contrast, then force to 2.2, but usually it should be fine.

for the HDRI it should be the same using the HDR format or EXR. in theory EXR should be more memory efficient, but most of the time they are just the same.

I also noticed that some grass preset from Forrest are very strong in color. you may need to go in to the texture and maybe de saturate a little, you could apply a color corrector over all of them inside Max.