Max has gone all Crashy

I've recently been upgraded to a new machine at work and what was a really stable Max has gone to wildly unstable. My new machine at home has a rock solid Max performance, so I don't think it's Windows 10.

One sure thing to make sure Max crashes now is when I navigate to my local E drive inside Max. This was a drive brought over from my old machine, and each time I try to get to this drive in Max it crashes. The drive seems fine, checks out fine in disk management, and I can access it no problem in Windows. I never have had this issue with the 2 drives I ported over from my old machine at home to my new one.

I get the same crash when I try to navigate to any drive. Just clicking on this PC on the left shortcut bar will crash Max.

I am on a Quadro K2200 now, where at home I'm on a GTX 970 and my previous work machine was a GTX 660. I've heard horror stories about Quadro's in Max, is this still the case?

I should mentioned we have Soviet Era permission restrictions on our work machines. To do anything I need to enter in a separate admin account. Though this was in place in my old machine and I didn't have these issues. Though that machine was in use before we decided to lock everything including the kitchen sink down on our network.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: This is Max 2016

Edited by VelvetElvis

check into rolling back your nvidia drivers. The ones from Feb work best for me. The latest ones cause havok on my system.

What driver version do you have? I rolled back to 353.62 and I still can't even try to select a drive to get a bitmap.

I'm about 2 seconds away from just getting my old machine from the back and using that one or trying to old GTX in there.

This issue exists solely in Max. Photoshop or any other program I can navigate to all local and network drives with zero issue. And it is only when selecting a bitmap. File-Open in max, I can also navigate anywhere I want to.

Edited by VelvetElvis

This is strange indeed. If I go File-Open or merge or import first, I can easily browse around my drives. Then after that, the bitmap dialog works. It's almost as if I have to wake up the drives before going to the select bitmap dialog.

Are there 2 different dialogs between open/import/merge and select bitmap?

Maybe it is related with the same issue of importing FBX out of scale.

Or when you open a file with missing bit maps and after give you the warning and you show where the new path it is, it will read all the other missing maps.

Did you clone your C drive?

This happens on already working files right? or new files.

It happens on even a blank Max file. It doesn't matter if I try to go to my E and C drives (local) or the network drives.

I would say it's a path issue, but file-open works perfectly. Rendering works fine as well. Everything is located. Re-link bitmaps shows no missing map. As I said, it is literally limited to the open bitmaps menu and happens instantly when I click on any drive letter. Clicking on a drive letter in the file-open dialog fixes the issue for the select bitmap dialog for as long as I keep that Max session open. If I open the file I want to work on the long way, going to file - open -browse, then the issue doesn't present itself. If I am working in a new file or open it via the recently opened links, it presents itself UNLESS I use file-open and just click around then hit cancel.

It's a head scratcher. Our other machine with a Quadro has been having strange issues as well. But why would one dialog box out of an entire program have a problem with a graphics card? I really wanted to try the old GTX660 in this rig to remove the graphics card as a cause, but this machine doesn't have a PCI-e power pin connector on the power supply. Damn you refurbished Dells!!!!