Project folder and Config User Map Paths

markf

Hi,

I'm using Max 2016, Vray, Windows 7.

I'm seeking advice on how I might best manage my user configures map paths while moving form Max 2016 to Max 2017

My system has a solid state drive, "C" where all my apps including Max are installed. There is another drive, "D", where I keep all my user generated files. So I have a folder structure D:Myfiles/Max that has a subfolder for each project. D:Myfiles/Max/project1, D:Myfiles/Max/project2, and so on.

When starting a new project I assign/create a project folder in Max like - D:Myfiles/Max/project1. For some reason and seemingly on a random basis, when I open a work in progress, it will sometime redirect the project folder to a location that is buried in the C:Program Files/User/ Autodesk/3DS MAx 2016/and so on directory and I need to point it back to the project folder I had set up under D:Max. Weird, inconvenient and not what I want but I can check that and revert it to my preferred project folder as needed.

My question really concerns how to handle and keep using across success Max upgrades my user map path configuration.

I have a bunch of maps in various folders under D:Myfiles/Max/mymaps, D:Myfiles/Max/mymaps/wood, D:Myfiles/Max/mymaps/stone, D:Myfiles/Max/mymesh/xfrog and son on.

I have entered all the paths into the config user paths. Then I saved that as D:Max/my-map-paths.mxp.

I was trying to use Max 2017 and load that my-map-paths.mxp file but it is causing the MAX project folder to switch from D:Max/project1 to D:Max. now I'm having th esame trouble with 2016 and my whole long used map path set up seems to be one big mess.

My desire is to have all my user configured map paths load up with every project. All my maps always available in the user config paths for all projects.

I suspect I'm making things harder on myself than need be, that's usually the case. Any suggestions for how others use the project folder and user map path configuration would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by markf