VR HTC laptop solution for PostGraduate studies - Alienware GPU amplifier

Hola,

My postgraduate program has 'strongly' recommended that I get a 17 inch laptop with a desktop GPU (NTX 970 minimum) as we will be using HTC Vive and Maya nonstop. (Of course, I can get a desktop, but I move around too much.

I have been looking recently at the Alienware graphics amplifier that goes with their new line of gaming laptops. Specifically, I have been looking at the 15 inch model which seems to be quite powerful with overclocking and 32 GB ram/ GTX 980m. I feel like this option ( a smaller laptop with the option to boost the GPU fits my goals; however, I am worried about the efficacy of the GPU booster).

Currently, my thought process is consisting of the fact that laptops featuring desktop Pascal GPU's will not be available for a while. I spoke to MSI and they said there is some adapter that needs to be produced before they can add them to new machines. I am hoping that I can get the 15 inch machine and just boost the GPU with a Pascal when I'm running HTC.

Is there any other options I'm overlooking to run a desktop GPU without getting a massive 17 incher? Also, there is some concern that these companies are going to update their laptops soon; but, Alienware says they have just updated them.

Thank you in advance.

Erik (i'd also like to avoid dragons and cheesy LED's whenever possible)

Razer is doing something similar to the Graphics Amplifier:

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-core

Appears to be a little more compact as well.

I think it is wise to not buy a 1st gen "VR Ready" laptop. Paschal is much more energy efficient but likely many months away in laptop configurations. NVidia does have an event next week, maybe something will be announced.