New Vray denoiser not working

etche

Hi, I'm trying out vray 3.40 and I can't figure out how to use the new VrayDenoiser Element.

I tried adding it with it's default settings, and when the render is done and I switch to this element, it's completely black. Shouldn't I see a denoised version of the RGB pass?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Edited by etche

• 1 month later...
Hi! Did you find the solution for this problem? Have the same one- but not always , don't know what makes the difference...

Nope, I'm always getting a full black image for the Denoiser pass. Maybe it depends on the amount of noise detected? I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I have already gave up trying. Too much time wasted already..

I just started to mess around with the Denoiser options recently. I was wondering what you had your settings set to. Maybe you just need to hit the update button after you render? The ChaosGroup page explains it pretty well. I have been using the "Replace RGB element with denoised result" setting and it seems to work pretty well.

I just started to mess around with the Denoiser options recently. I was wondering what you had your settings set to. Maybe you just need to hit the update button after you render? The ChaosGroup page explains it pretty well. I have been using the "Replace RGB element with denoised result" setting and it seems to work pretty well.

I have my settings set to default! Instead of replacing the RGB element, it stores the denoised result in a new element, which in my case comes out completely black. I tried changing it to waht you said and my RGB pass came out black.

I also tried hitting the update button and nothing changes. I think this is only meant to adjust your VrayDenoiser settings after you have rendered the image and want to see the difference.

My last guess is that you just don't have enough noise. A couple things to try: Up the the strength above 2. Zoom in on the black image to see if there are gray areas because the render element image is usually black with gray spots showing the noise. My guess is that you just don't have that much noise. And lastly since my knowledge is so limited this is straight from their website but a good thing to double check.

"While the denoiser can be quite effective at removing noise, it is not perfect; very noisy images can lead to artifacts and loss of image detail. For most scenes, use the Adaptive or Progressive image samplers with the Noise threshold parameter set to 0.05 or lower. Additionally, the denoiser works best when the noise levels across the image are similar (when the noiseLevel channel is as close to uniform grey as possible), so using very low sampling is not recommended."

Maybe its what you say about not enough noise, but by raising the noise threshold and getting a lot of noise in the RGB pass, the VrayDenoiser pass still comes out as a FULL black image. Already tried changing the strengh and radius.

When you add the VrayDenoiser element and render, a lot of other render channels get also added in the VFB. One of those channels -noiseLevel- is a black image with diferent shades of gray spots where noise is. But the VrayDenoiser channel (or pass) comes out black, where it should be a denoised version of the RGB pass.

I've notice that when i don't check this option in render setup- to save seperate channels in a folder- so i have to save them after render- then its ok and denoiser its not black. Have no idea why....

Not for me. Always black

Try ticking off 'hardware acceleration' under advanced denoiser parameters. I was having the same issue and that fixed it.

According to the hover menu info for that tick box, "Use the OpenCL version of the denoiser, if possible. Fall back to CPU if OpenCL is not available."

Try ticking off 'hardware acceleration' under advanced denoiser parameters. I was having the same issue and that fixed it.

According to the hover menu info for that tick box, "Use the OpenCL version of the denoiser, if possible. Fall back to CPU if OpenCL is not available."

That's it!! Thank you! I feel stupid for not trying that but I was already tired of trying and not getting it working. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

You can also use the 'vdenoise' tool which is a standalone program and comes with vray. You can then run the denoiser after the image is saved and change you noise settings if required and save out a denoised version.

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Standalone+Denoise+Tool+%7C+vdenoise

Very useful if your image has been rendering for hours and then you notice the denoiser is black.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem with the Sketchup version of vray? It works periodically, however, I seem to get a black screen for the denoiser channel the majority of the time. It appears that the advanced parameters are not available for sketchup. Any help is much appreciated.

• 4 months later...