Feedback appreciated for livingroom render

1467567787.jpg

Studio/Institution: personal work
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3ds max, Vray 3.2, photoshop
Description:

Hi everyone, I'm a 3d student and I'm quite new to architectural visualisation and would really appreciate some feedback on this render, what could I do to improve the realism? I'm just not sure what I should focus on specifically to improve it, Thanks a lot.

Like probably this is the tonal range and material definition you should be aiming for. If you're ever wondering "what can i do to make this better?" just put it up against a good piece of work or picture.

loft loft.jpg

Like this is a simple levels adjustment to take away some of the heavy darkness of the original.

loft%20loft%20levels_zpsw289sjgr.jpg

Edited by heni30

just feels really generic

In another post you said 90-some per cent of viz work looked the same. To me that seems about right for any creative field. I think hard work AND natural ability will produce good, creative, individual work. I really think the natural talent part is necessary.

Of course, natural selection will sort things out but I wonder if we should be pushing average people to get all "sexy/artistic" on renders when the ability isn't there.

For most people generic done well is fine and in demand - and appropriate.

Edited by heni30

I see what you mean, is there anything specifically I could focus on to improve that? or anything to avoid? I'm unsure where to start to make it feel more personal, thanks.

Spend some time researching basic photography and how to compose a shot. If more people spent twice as long determining the framing of a scene than adjusting vray settings, the overall industry would improve.

Look at the top studios work. Most commercially successful scenes are not overly complex or intricate in terms of technical aspects (model detail, # of objects etc). It comes down to presentation and style more often than not.

By the way, to make a scene more personal and less formal, it can be as simple as moving the camera to avoid being perpendicular to the opposite wall. 1 point perspectives are the least personal.

Spend some time researching basic photography and how to compose a shot. If more people spent twice as long determining the framing of a scene than adjusting vray settings, the overall industry would improve.

Look at the top studios work. Most commercially successful scenes are not overly complex or intricate in terms of technical aspects (model detail, # of objects etc). It comes down to presentation and style more often than not.

By the way, to make a scene more personal and less formal, it can be as simple as moving the camera to avoid being perpendicular to the opposite wall. 1 point perspectives are the least personal.

I agree with you. I realized recently that to truly stand out you really have to commit to study as much as one does to creation and be open to criticism to improve.