calibration of 3 monitors with GTX980

mi75

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution/suggestion to my calibration issue.

I've been running a GTX580 for the past couple of years with two monitors which have been calibrated with a Spyder Pro.

I can never get enough desktop space so I bought a 3rd screen and a GTX 980. I have both the 580 & 980 installed but run the monitors off the 980 because it can handle up to 4 screens. The 580 is now just to help with RT in Vray.

The Problem I'm having is the 980 runs the monitors in "surround" mode so it sees all 3 as one therefor when I calibrate it only sees one monitor. So one monitor is perfect and the other 2 are going to be slightly off.

Anyone had this issue before?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe running one through the 580 and 2 through the 980? not sure if that's possible.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by mi75

• Administrators

Hmmm, that's a good question. I would check with Spyder if they have a software that supports NVIDIA's surround. If you have the latest software and it's still detecting only one, I have feeling it won't work and you'll need to run the displays individually and bypass the surround mode. You need to generate a profile for each display and windows needs to see them separately as a result. The other option might be to invest in some high end displays that store the LUTs on board the display, rather than use OS level lookup tables. Then you could technically calibrate and profile each one separately and likely use surround mode. I'm not 100% though without testing as I've never tried surround mode.

Thanks Jeff,

Yeah I have the latest spyder software (older spyder Pro hardware) but like you said, windows sees the 3 monitors as 1 super wide monitor so the spyder only makes the one profile. I wish I could afford the high end monitors, maybe in a few years.

I'm going to try and run them using 2 cards and see if that works, just need some down time so I can experiment.

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks

Martin

The only way I could calibrate my 3 monitors was to turn off the "Surround" mode on the GTX980.

It took a few goes but finally got the right combination of 1 monitor plugged into the GTX580 and 2 plugged into the GTX980. If you don't get the right combination of DVI and DP ports then it doesn't seem to work. You also need to get one card working first with the 2 monitors before trying to connect the 3rd. it seemed to be a bit of trial and error.

Now it all works, windows 7 sees 3 individual monitors and they can all be calibrated individually, which you can't do with just a GTX980 with 3 monitors connected to the one card.

Not looking forward to connecting the 4th monitor in a couple of weeks....

Martin

Yes they all match as expected. I was never a big fan of the surround mode, id did a few strange things with multiple programs open. The new setup is much better.

Least I could re-heat my coffee without leaving the room......:cool:

• 4 months later...