Environmental reflections Vray/3D Max

janisaufmanis

Hi all,

I am looking for some help - the goal is to make a realistic rendering ( of course). It's all good so far with materials and model. The issue is the environment reflecting on the building - we are not modeling the environment, but since we propose large glazed screen, the buildings from across the street have to be reflected. Even more - this is a historical city and that's a project on an intersection of 5 streets ( so there's a lot of different reflections from each angle)

Can you please help and point out some smart tricks, or maybe lead me to other posts regarding similar problem? This is not super-urgent, so I'm also ready to invest some time for a better result.

Thanks in advance,

Janis

Devin,

Sounds like you're experienced with this kind of thing. I am wondering what might not be working. I have the image, the small software was working perfectly fine. I will explain my process step by step ( shortly) and I would really appreciate if I could have some explanation of what I'm doing wrong.

1. Render setup/Vray/Environment Rollout. Here I simply choose my bitmap image for reflection/refraction slot ( and change nothing more)

I have a feeling that something is wrong here, however I have the exact same settings as in the link you gave

2.Drag and drop this bitmap to material editor as an instance.

3.Drag and drop the instance to Environment rollout

4.Here the fun part begins- I select the viewport and press Alt+B. Viewport background options then open. They look a bit different from what I saw in the given link. Anyways, this has to do with the viewport, not with rendering, so let's not pay too much attention to this.

5.Suppose, I have adjusted my spherical bitmap, checked the environ option in the material editor and set up my materials. I am using simple dome light with no texture. And I hit render

The result is without any reflection at all. Do you have any ideas? I went through all the process 3 times and double checked everything I imagined could be wrong. The mistake must be very silly and obvious, but there is no way I can work my way around it myself.

Looking forward for any advices

Janis