3ds max UI reset

maximilianwarwitz

Hey guys,

my second monitor crashed a few days ago and I can only work with 1 atm. The problem was that the render setup window (F10) was on my second monitor and I couldn´t see it. I googled for a solution and I was told to delete the 3dsmax.ini file in user\(myusername)\AppData\local\autodesk\3dsMax\2016-64bit\GER where the coordinates of the render setup window are stored. After re-opening the program the window was in its original place.

But now I´ve got the problem that the scene explorer isn´t shown on the left side whenever I open the program. I always have to activate the scene explorer and move it in its correct position. That´s a bit annoying.

It´d be nice if you could help me solving this problem..

Thanks in advance for your help!

This is an oldie but Goldie ;)

open max as usual and push the key in your keyboard assigned to your scene explorer. to open it, you may need to try a few times because since you can't see it you don't know if it is there or not :p

Then without touching your mouse press Alt+space bar, still not touching anything else select the key 'M' no quotes just the key.

then with the arrows of your keyboard move the windows left or right, depending of your monitor setup.

What you are doing is using the windows keyboard controller to arrange windows. This can be applied to any windows in your screen as long they are floating.

Hope this works.

Hi.

There's a quicker solution:

WindowsKey+Shift+LeftKey (or WindowsKey+Shift+RightKey) moves the active window (has focus) to the other monitor. Works also with child windows, like the render setup.

For me is the most used keyboard combination with my dual monitor Setup

Thanks a lot! It worked really well! :)

I still have the problem with the scene explorer window. Each time I open 3ds max the scene explorer window is missing on the left side. I always have to re-activate it. Could it have anything to do with the 3dsmax.ini file I deleted? I´m not having the problem on my laptop. Only on my pc where I accidentally deleted the .ini file. I already tried to reset my UI but it didn´t work.

EDIT: I´m sorry. It´s not the scene explorer window I guess. I´ve added a screenshot of the UI-part that´s always missing when I start 3ds max.

missing UI on startup.PNG

Edited by maximilianwarwitz