Photo Realistic - Kicking and screaming

heni30

1470250507.jpg

Studio/Institution: xyz
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: max, vr, ps
Description:

I had been coasting on pseudo - pr but now client wants bona-fide PR. Took this image from earlier in the year - VERY rushed deadline - and attempted to follow actual lighting from RCP. Not quite 100%

MOTH%201%20BDRM%20old_zpsdmiiyptm.jpg

It might just be me.... but nothing says CG to me like those uniform light scallops on the wall, at a guess, the ubiquitous "nice.ies". Also the lack of variance in the reflections is telltale.

Change the ies, go for slight variance in the light colour and sculpting between lights and add some noise to your reflections (variance in timber mapping too) and I'll be more convinced. :)

big improvement!

i think the sun coming isnt necessary and looks little CG, something to do with the balance of intensity between cove lighting, ies and sun?

agree with nice.ies comments

a bit of postwork and some glare on the lights and spec / bump maps in materials would help a lot

Here's a version without the sun I was working on at the same time; need to liven up the living area lighting some.

Also a sample from a friend who works at the client's interior design office of what they have been using lately. It was done by a local lone wolf Ukrainian guy using mental ray. Not exactly cutting edge design but they stress accurate portrayal of materials and lighting.

MOTH%201%20BDRM%20%20%20-%20no%20sun_zpsldsui3ai.jpg

ALISON REALISTIC em.jpg

Edited by heni30

Also a sample from a friend who works at the client's interior design office of what they have been using lately. It was done by a local lone wolf Ukrainian guy using mental ray. Not exactly cutting edge design but they stress accurate portrayal of materials and lighting.

interior designers are famous for wanting to place color swatches on top of renderings and have them match. Their interpretation of 'accurate' materials in a rendering often differs from reality.

There are not recessed lights above the bar, but there is light on the walls, the light above the table is floating without cables or other support, make the material on the TV emit light, it will cast a blue tint on the table. your vray light is showing up in the picture glass. If you want the lamp to look more realistic, have a light inside (or 2 cones going up and down) to cast light (lamp shade shadows) on the ceiling and table, and another point/sphere light that excludes the shade for casting shadows that is about the same color as the shade, to light up the wall behind it.

If you are rendering with the sun, it should be making the room much brighter, but it doesn't look much different than the image above, I don't think your light is bouncing around correctly.

Also, setup your lighting with a grey override material on everything, right click and mouse around the rendering and look for completely white and black areas and try to eliminate those.

My $0.03

Great! Just the comments I'm looking for.

Would probably be a good idea to go back to square one. Just turn everything off and start by turning the sun on. then the lights one by one and analyzing closely what is happening.

Thanks.

Edited by heni30

interior designers are famous for wanting to place color swatches on top of renderings and have them match. Their interpretation of 'accurate' materials in a rendering often differs from reality.

:D I bring in colors on a layer in Photoshop and adjust my colors just for that reason, they are not always looking for physically correct, but accurate enough to sell their ideas and design. On the plus side, this also helps with the difference in monitors, if you have an accurate sample.

I like those kitchen renderings you did - materials - lighting - everything very consistent. Makes me see that my tones are really all over the place.

I am a little wary of working for interior designers because they can be so an*l

about material accuracy.

Edited by heni30

I don't mean to sound harsh and no offence to you at all, I just think that there are far bigger issues than the lighting

For me the designers choice in finishes and furniture is all over the place. The light flooring clashes with the dark skirting, the round table clashes with the linear pendant light and the furniture looks like they are from a budget furniture store. All of which is making it look like students digs from the 90's rather than a half million dollar apartment.

No amount of nice.ies light fittings is going to fix that.

Points taken.

I guess I was in a hurry and just cobbled stuff together, that as y'all said, clash on several levels.

It's supposed to be modest - housing for a church for guests. But modest furniture pieces should also

fit together and harmonize.

I appreciate the feedback.

Edited by heni30

Go Tigers!

Client asked for it angled - It's not super rare. Next iteration will have to wait - got some more work so it's back to smoke and mirrors.

Kiosk has fake glass, fake ss bases, ps merchandise, ps shadows. Once again - there is no quest for perfection here. The object is to dazzle the clients (which he is very satisfied with already) and communicate to the airport what it's going to look like.

The only thing that dictates using shortcuts is that it's multiple renderings on a very tight schedule. I enjoy it - it's fun to see how good you can make it look given very tight parameters.

angled hardwood.jpg

FIRE CZ 8-8 em.jpg

FIRE raw.jpg

Edited by heni30

I don't know why you wouldn't grab a few bits of merchandise from the likes of turbosquid/3dsky? Would save you ages in post and ultimately look better. Same goes for the images above the displays - a simple vray material with some self illumination would look great.

Do you have an ambient light in the scene or something? The foreground/ceiling/more or less everything is very low contrast and there are no shadows?

As I said time was of the essence. I would have to look for jewelry items (1st jewelry store I've done) I would have to light them and do tests.

This is a re-do of another rendering so I just grabbed what they had done. Since I've done a LOT of post it didn't take that long - just put in some perspective guide lines and move and copy the same merch group left to right.

It's still not finished so maybe I will put in more lights. Here is the actual space and the old rendering. And here's a properly done one found online. Wish I had time to do it like that.

old fire cz rendering em.jpg

clutch.jpg

existing space em.jpg

• 2 months later...