Looking for review and advice for my system - 3D workstation plus a render node

I would like to build my system - a 3D workstation plus a render node. Here is the configuration and I would appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Background:

I mainly use Maya for modeling and rendering (also animation). I will also use zBrush for organic modeling. I also do a lot of photo processing with Photoshop and Lightroom. I want to build a workstation and a render node because I need speed of single-CPU (for modeling, photo edting etc.) and also time saver by using a render node.

My system:

Approximate Purchase Date: In this Sep/Oct

Budget Range: US$ 3,500-4,000 for workstation; US$ 5,000-6,000 for render node

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D modeling, animation and rendering

Are you buying a monitor: No (Already own two - One Dell UP2715K 5K monitor and one 21" monitor)

Do you need to buy OS: NO (have Windows 10 Pro)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com/eBay.com/Amazon.com/Local stores

Parts Preferences: Prefer Intel, Quadro

Overclocking: Yes (for workstation). I guess not for the render node

SLI or Crossfire: Yes if that's a plus

Your Monitor Resolution: 5K (Dell 5K) + 1920*1080 (21" monitor)

1 - Workstation:

MB: Asus X99 DELUXE II, X99, ATX, LGA2011-v3, 8*DDR4

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4Ghz 6C12T 15MB LGA2011-v3 BOX(BX80671I76800K) FT

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Kit (2x8GB) X 4 (I will buy two of this to make it 64GB in total)

DISPLAY: PNY Quadro M5000 VCQM5000-PB 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Full Height Workstation Video Card

SSD: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 MZ-V5P512BW 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.1 SSD

HD: I think I won't buy HD since I would like to link this workstation to my existing QNAP NAS (TS-563). I already have three 4TB HD and one 256GB SSD installed in the NAS.

FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212X – CPU Cooler with dual 120mm PWM Fan

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Black Aluminum / Steel mATX/ MicroATX Tower Computer Case

2 - Render Node

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DRI-T-O Extended ATX Xeon Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011-3 Intel C612 DDR4 SDRAM

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2683 v3 Haswell 2.0 GHz 14 x 256KB L2 Cache 35MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 120W CM8064401609728 Server Processor. I will buy 2 of this to build a dual XEON system

RAM: SAMSUNG 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Server Memory Model M393A1G40DB0-CPB I will buy 8 of these to make it 64GB in total

DISPLAY: I think I will just use the on-board video card.Correct me if I am wrong.

HD: I will just buy a 4TB 7200RPM HD for this server since render node doesn't need high speed storage. Correct me if I am wrong.

FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212X – CPU Cooler with dual 120mm PWM Fan

CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 Black ATX Gaming Full Tower Tt LCS Certified Gaming Computer Case CA-1F8-00M1WN-00 Salesman told me this can fit the SuperMicro EATX MB (12"X13") but I am not quite sure

Some questions

Is it possible to use a 2U chassis to fit the render node?

is it better to use the following two MB from ASUS for my 3D workstation?

- ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 CEB Intel Motherboard

- ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

If I want to expand to use SLI in the future. Will the ASUS X99 Deluxe II be able to accommodate? This M5000 is a dual slot card

This is a lengthy post! Thanks for your patience!

Edited by maxerli

if you build two separate rigs, then you should base the main workstation on a 6700K, which is the best single-core performer right now. Here is an idea PCPartPicker part list.

Here is a suggestion for the render node http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BvTsLD. You could also build a single 2P Workstation like this for all tasks. The 2697 v4 has a 3.6GHz turbo, so it would perform nicely in single-threaded tasks too. Something like this http://pcpartpicker.com/list/.

If rendering is secondary in your workflow, you could even build a 6950X based system for half the budget, and perform decently in all tasks with a single rig.

If you really need the Quadro due to the 10-bit monitor you already have, and if you really need to be so accurate in color, then wait for the new Pascal Quadros coming out later in October. Aim at the P5000 which would probably cost around 2-2.5K$. Don't spend money for an older Quadro.

Edited by nikolaosm

I think a Quadro is no longer needed for Maya...

02-Maya.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-9.html

I would say, get a GTX 1080 or 1070

Since you want to overclock your workstation i think the 6800K is ok, but be aware that there seem to be less good Broadwell-E compared to Haswell-E. But i think 4 GHz should be no problem on air - but i would go for a 140mm cooler like a Noctua NH-D14

I would buy 4x16GB RAM kits instead of 8x8GB and especially instead combining 4 2x8GB kits. Should be cheaper now than 8x8GB and 4 sticks are overall less demanding - should be better for overclocking. Something like

Kingston HyperX Fury DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-2400, CL15-15-15 (HX424C15FBK4/64) or

Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-2400, CL14-16-16-31 (CMK64GX4M4A2400C14)

The X99 DELUXE II is more than enough and not really needed unless you need the additional features. A ASUS X99-A II should be ok.

Why a Xeon E5-2683 v3? Is this used hardware?

I would buy a cheap SSD for the node. Something like a Samsung 750 EVO.

You need some PSUs...

I agree on the Quadro vs GTX comments above. In lack of "special" drivers which is pretty much exclusive for some OpenGL apps these days, GTX has little issue producing results.

Sure, the numbers above are for 1080p and not 4K / 5K, but usually the ranking remains the same - just everything gets slower with higher resolutions.

I actually have scored better with my 1070 tests than Tom's, which is weird as a would not expect a 4.5GHz 4770K being faster than a 6700K...

pcfoo_SpecViewperf_12_2016Q2_Maya2013_600.jpg

Well...so says the pudding ;)

Some comments on the OP:

* Render node storage: why go for a 4TB HDD? Seems a waste. Probably a cheap 120GB class SSD would be sufficient (size wise), faster and cheaper. For similar monies with a (new) 5400rpm 4TB drive, you can get a 250 class SSD.

* Main Workstation storage: I would go for a 1TB M.2 EVO over the faster 512GB NVMe 950 Pro - for the same cost. I recently upgraded to the 512GB 950 Pro myself, and I'd say I am not at all that impressed. I'd rather have more storage, even if it is slightly slower. I don't feel the speed difference over a fast Sata drive like the 850 Pro, and that's exactly the performance levels the M.2 EVO's get (the controller in the 850 EVO M.2 is practically a SATA controller, and that is what limits their speed to SATA III levels ~ 600MB/s).

The new 960 Pro will probably come out in 1TB sizes, but again I would not justify the cost unless you are super-positive you will see RL benefits from the extra speed...for me, the only benefit is that large games load faster = total overkill for the $ spend. YMMV.

Edited by dtolios

Thanks all for the reply.

Actually I have a friend who just told me yesterday he would like to give his gaming PC to me at a very competitive price (Only around US$600!!!). Here is the config:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake (4 cores, 4.0GHz,8M Cache,LGA 1151,14nm,91w)

MB: MSI Z170A MPOWER TITANIUM, Z170, ATX, LGA1151, 4*DDR4, Graphic by CPU

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 1000W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R DDR4 2666MHz 16GB Kit X2 = 32GB total

SSD1: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 MZ-V5P256BW 256GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.1 SSD

SSD2: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" SATA3 6Gb/s SSD 7mm ASP550SS3-240GM-C

HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Desktop SATA3 6Gb/s /64MB HDD

FAN: Corsair H100i v2 cooler

DISPLAY: Not included but there is on-board video card.

CASE: Corsair SPEC-03

It is so attractive and I think I will purchase the whole set (He won't sell separately). After that I will put my Quadro M5000 on it. I am thinking if I should replace some of them to fit my needs (e.g. replacing the MSI MB with ASUS X99II?). However I think I may not need to do that. How do you think if I just use this gaming PC as a workstation? I think it would do the work. Your comments appreciated!!

Nothing makes a computer a "gaming PC" other than installing games on it and gaming.

Much like nothing special makes up most "workstation PCs"...all are just PCs.

The configuration you are offered is OK. You can work on it fine and you can add a render slave if you want to in the future.

You cannot make your X99 Mobo swap, cause X99 is a s2011-3 socket north-bridge = incompatible with non-s2011-3 CPUs, like the one in question. Again, there is nothing "special" about X99.

Also, you insist on the M5000, and you call it "my Quadro". Do you already own it or you really want to purchase it? Cause it will set you back the cost of a faster for your purposes GTX 1070 and a render node combined...for zero benefit.

Edited by dtolios

Thanks Dimitris, yes I already own a Quadro M5000 card. I purchased it at a much lower price than the retail price. I guess I will still use it at least for a while. If I had a need to change to GTX 1070 I will sell it in the 2nd hand market.

It would be very useful in your case, and every other post/thread asking for advice, to mention what you already own: we spilled ink here arguing against buying the M5000, which we wouldn't if you've simply said "guys, I already have this GPU and/or this PSU" or "I really need to work with "X" legacy software" etc...all these limitations inform the advice/opinions.

Most stuff can be done in different ways, you get to inform your opinion based on ours.

So...imho and without trying to sound redundant and/or dogmatic,I do thin a GTX 1070 would "smoke" the M5000 for your needs.

My advice would be that if you did buy it at good price and you can "flip" it for your money and/or squeeze some profit, do so as soon as possible. The card is really not any better than a GTX 980 but works wonders for certain software - not for the last 3-4 versions of Maya or zBrush though (especially zBrush that is specifically made not to utilize GPU acceleration & to "fudge" immense complexities, so...).

The M5000 typically sells for $1600~1850 in US retailers and as I'm writing this you can sell it in Amazon.com as a private seller for $1350+...that is practically the cost of a decent i7-6700K based workstation, with 32GB RAM, GTX 1070, SSD and other goodies, virtually being wasted on software that doesn't care for it...just let it go.

Thanks! Apologize for not making it clear that I have purchased the M5000.

I think I can sell it anyway if I need.

On the other hand, I am wondering if there is significant difference between GTX 1080 and 1070? Should I go with the latest 1080 or 1070 is just fine? Any brand you would like to avoid for 3D application? Thanks a lot!

Don't over-compensate apologizing, plz...

For 3D viewport performance & Maya I doubt the 1070 will have much of a difference vs. a 1080, and I would actually doubt the upcoming Titan P or a "1080Ti" will be much different either, i.e. the 1070 will be already fluid in most scenes, and if you manage through so-so managing active polygons to bug the 1070, you would be a hair away from bugging the 1080 etc...

We can always "try" and "succeed" to bring our H/W to its knees. Creativity and management through layers / proxies etc is good practice now and in the future, as the complexity of our models can easily grow faster than H/W improves.