online resources......

Guest kaos

hi, i am wondering, is there anywhere on the net, where i could find drawing files of buildings which i could convert to cgArchitecture for my portfolio??

I would like to go out on my own, but unfortunately, i would be sued if used any of the files we have here where i work, so i need to find publicly available drawings of buildings which i could convert to stunning 3d work (well, hehe, stunning, i can try can't i....)

thanx........

ok, i thought that maybe i should post a little bit of history about myself, abd to also ask for any advice in "going out on my"..

i am a 24 year old artist.

I have absoluterly NO colledge education

i thought myself how to use max, and thats how i got my current job as a visualiser.

I work in a small business, and my boss is steadfast about only doing "architectural" visualisation

i have worked on some 3d comic-book projects (Spiderman Quality of Life)

i am primarily a fantasy artist, you know, environments, and a little bit of character work

I would envision myself as becoming an illustrator, so to speek... what i would love to do is book covers, album covers and the likes, however, if i was to go out on my own, i would need to be able to fall back on my other skills, architectural visualisation and web design....

I am very proficient at 3ds max and photoshop, have used director, dreamweaver, flash, Architectural Desktop, auotoCAD, bryce, etc, etc......

personally, i believe i have the skills to make it in this business, and possibly the illustration business....

so, what i need to do is build up my portfolio, i have tons of fantasy images, i even have some product visualisation images, but i have NO architectural images that i could legally show to potential clients....

how can i build up my architectural visualisation portfolio ???

cheers,

Adrian "kaos" Hartrey

Hi kaos,

Before I suggest anything, I want to tell you that I am very often at the other side of a job application, i.e. I choose the freelancers/staff.

To be honest, to me, it doesn't matter that much if the artists has any architectural visualisations to show or not. If he does, that's fine, but if he doesn't, it's no problem at all, as long as they can proof artistry and vision by anything in their portfolio (sketches, drawings, paintings).

But if they do show it, i want it to be good, if not they rather disappoint me.

So I would recommmend you to NOT do any effort to make any architectural visualisations that are but moderate, because you don't know it yet. If you got the job, you'll probably learn how to do architectural visualisation anyway, and much better than you can at this moment. It's of no use to lie about the fact that you have not done architectural visualisation before, because people in the business just know it. If you're honest you'll definately make a better impression.

An extra thing that you should be aware of, is that you don't have to prepare yourself endlessly, because this can suggest to be a fear - fear is never good! - to take the next step or to go ahead. It looks like you're in doubt of moving on.

On the other hand if you think you have the skills to make in the business - like you said yourselve - just step out and try! Not having done any architectural visualisation is but an excuse to give in into some kind of fear or to exceed execution as to speak. Jump into the water if you want to learn to swim, because you'll never be able to learn it, while standing on the side! Just proof your artistry by anything you got and show your devotion... ;)

rgds

nisus

if you want to be in the cg architecture buisness, you have to show clients

SOME cg architecture work, just to let them know that you are able to portrait their feelings and standpoints. Just to be able to sell their work. Many clients of CG architecture cant see the architecture side of pure fantasm work that you've done by now. You would rather send them into the bush, than let them see the tree clearly!!! They just don't have the time or money to experiment, they need your trust, that you are able to be their guy to do the job....

[ June 26, 2002, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: quizzy ]

Hi all

I think I misunderstood koas' question. I think he was applying for an architectural visualisation studio, not to clients who wanted visualisation/image.

If he is applying for an architectural visualisation studio I still don't think it's necessary to have architectural visuals in your portfolio.

On the other hand, if he is applying to get a freelance job (not in a studio) I think he needs a portfolio with lot's of different styles of visualisation like artistic, commercial, informing,... But this takes a while to create and therefore I would not recommend to prepare everything on the forehand. Build your portfolio on the way, using 'reference' material in the main time, as a backup to make sure your ideas stroke the ones of your client.

Otherwise you won't be jobhunting in a year or not even two, because you will allways want to refine you're techniques and show only the best.

Preparing is one issue, okay... but if you don't move on jobs anymore, it's quite useless isn't it?

And even if you got a great portfolio, clients can still feel that you're selling air to them because it's hard for them to see the direction in which you're heading. Sketches can help this out, but not completely as it's another medium. Reference material is a very good and quick way to refine ideas until your and your clients visions get together or to research what the client really wants. You don't even have had to do this specific kind of job before nor is there any need to have started on the job allready to know exactly what the client wants, as you allready 'rephrased' his wish into some images.

It's really more important to get to the clients level in thinking and there is nothing to be afraid of, if you now how to make images like your references.

It is just crazy to prepare every possible option on the forehand!

A few images might be okay to show you're skills, but beware that this does not have to take a long time. Remember, the best time to fill a portfolio is to actually work and eventually the only reference material you'll use, will be the ones you created yourselve. Do keep in mind that this is a process, because no one is able to change the world in only one day, but you can set goals to achieve over and over again and get their in the end.

rgds

nisus

and ow... btw, quizzy, no hard feelings at all ;)

hehe i was a little drunk... and edited my message as you can see... biggrin2.gif But again, we are both saying the same in different words....

o and kaos: I dont know how its done in Ireland, but here in the netherlands you can show work that you've made, because you have the spiritual property rights of the pictures you've made. NOT the design, just the pictures... And allways tell future clients this: "Well this is some work that i've done at The company i don't work for anymore"

hope this helps, if you have really done a lot of 3d work allready, its a waste to start your own portfolio, ask a lawyer or something...

[ June 26, 2002, 04:48 AM: Message edited by: quizzy ]

Kaos,

If you are in the U.S., there is no way your company can prevent you from displaying work that you performed while under their employment unless the company signed non-disclosure agreements with every client you did work for under their roof. At most, you should put the company name on the printed hardcopy you have in your portfolio. If it is on a website, you need to have a statement something like:

'work displayed in this section includes projects completed while employed by xxxx'

Architects do the equivalemt all the time. If a firm hires an architect from a competing firm, they can use that employees project experience to market themselves as they have acquired the 'talent' responsible for creating the work. Of course, the other firm can also market the same projects. It can lead to awkward questions from a potential client, but it is done every day.

John Dollus

hmmmmmmmmm, maybe i should talk to my friend, her brother is a lawyer, maybe she can ask him the legallity of it all.......

i wouldn't want to piss anybody off....... you see, my problem is that i would LOVE to be a freelancer, i just have this huge mortgage at the moment, and would have to start out both freelancing and working in an employed, salary situation... SO, i don't want to piss off my boss...

what i would like to be able to do is get some drawing files of existing buildings, and work up 3d models of them, then i could use them in my portfolio, but unfortunately, i don't know anybody that could give me these drawings..... i think i really need a good architectural portfolio on my website, and i believe that my website could fianlly be finished with even 3 good architectural pieces on it....

hmmmmm, just a thought:

Is anybody here in a position to get, or give out old drawing files that mybe you did in college, or something so i could work on my portfolio?? i would of course only want them if its fully legal for me to produce the 3d visualisations and display them on my web site with full "design" credits going to the architect???

thanx, i am really enjoying this thread.....

Well kaos, check this website and see all the pictures i've made... I use them also to get freelance jobs, and even my employer knows about this. It is however a "problem" if you have been thaught 3D at this company, then you could get in some trouble maybe...

And i'll check if i have some drawings for you..

heh quizzy, no, i was after teaching myself 3d, thats how i got this job..........

i would really appreciate it if you could get me some drawings.... that would be pretty cool..... just make sure i will never get contacted by somebody saying:

"heh, thats my design, your facing a lawsuit m8!".........