How did this guy create this HDRI lighting?

jfharper

At this link:

http://www.cgarchitect.com/2013/12/effects-of-hdr-vs-mdr-on-image-based-lighting

...second image down within article, named 4.jpg, he is illustrating proper HDRI lighting. In that image a few of his spheres have a white-ish falloff towards the edges helping to distinguish the sphere's edge from the background. It's especially visible in the front black sphere, but also in the far left sphere and chrome sphere to the far right.

When I do a similar scene with a good HDRI, my sphere's edges do not have this falloff and look too sharp or contrasting, or hard edged against the background. I do not like the look of mine, but like his lighting.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how he did this? I'm using 3ds max 2016 and vray 3.40.02

I'd like to improve the lighting of my scenes, starting with an IBL, then working with the materials and lights to get a good looking scene. Thanks.

ok, i get that, but I cannot figure how to control the falloff correctly around the edges. There should be a way to control falloff around the entire sphere, where the perpendicular angle reflects a lot creating a white-ish look only where there is something to reflect, like the sky and ground, but not reflect where the shadow is on the ground, and the reflection of the sky and ground should be different. In that tut, reflection falloff is linear around the objects edges and doesn't look correct.

Well If I remember right, this guys uses Octane render to do his test; so the Fresnel cal. work different than VRay.

it's been a lot of talking about what is the right way to do Fresnel in all these render engines. Mostly VRay and Corona (most commons) MODO also had a lot of criticism about it Fresnel, but it is not wide use in Archviz really.

If you want a more precise control of your Fresnel you may want to look in using this scrip/pluging for VRay max or Corona render.

I am not aware of the latest Corona updates, but I think they were working on it. Maybe someone else may jump with more updated info.

https://www.sigershop.eu/free-3ds-max-plugins/sigertexmaps-complexfresnel/