An interview I did about my time in rendering

Ernest Burden III

My vote is for illustration as well.

I design and build garden structures, artist's studios, and occasionally small house in a fantasy style for here in the Catskill Mountains.

Photorealism would be inappropriate for fantasy designs. I tend to cater to my individual client's taste.

Also since my real work is in Revit I can take images from Revit into Photoshop and come up with good results as we go through an interactive design phase.

Max does come in in the end for something a little more polished - but still fantasy illustration style.

Virgil

Several years ago I came upon the AcmeDigital website and it inspired me more than any other single rendering website had at that time. I have been a huge fan or Ernest's work and still to this day I have a saved PDF of a web tutorial he posted many years ago which was really one of the first that shot my career from architect to illustrator. Thanks for your work and thank you for sharing.

Congrats Ernest, it is a fantastic article, I really appreciate the way you tied traditional illustration approaches and sensibilities and the new digital techniques and clients expectations. Thanks for the mention also!

Hope things are well, we are in the midst of the ASAI up here in Boston...

Maybe we will get a chance to hang out soon.

-Nils