VRay renders darker when switching from RT to ADV?

jfharper

Has anyone experienced this? I'll be working with ActiveShade VRayRT CUDA and switch to Production VRayRT CUDA, or Production VRay Adv, or CUDA to CPU and for some reason the render will start rending darker, like if the exposure or gamma has been changed, but they were not touched.

I tried switching things around, closing VFB, opening it back, disabling then enabling gamma, closing max then reopening it and nothing works.

Only thing that works is powering down my system, then rebooting.

Only thing I found on this was on reddit where someone mentioned it was by design for cracked versions of vray, but I have a legit copy with a license dongle.

I'm thinking its a driver issue or something getting swtiched and stuck in memory until I power off the system...I've tried rebooting, but that doesn't help, only a power down and restart works.

I'm using max 2016 and vray 3.40.03...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doing more tests to try and reproduce to figure what causes this, I found previous file saves now render the darker image, however I know when I was working with these scenes and saving out, they were lit not dark like the current render. Maybe something is happening when I save, or a corrupt file? Funny thing is it just randomly shows up, and when I go back to previous file saves, it's there too, but it wasn't when I was working with it.

I tried searching for this, but didn't find anything. Does any of this ring a bell with anyone regarding a bug in max or vray or something? It's weird and difficult to figure out.

OK, I found the problem. In a previous file that did not show the darkening, I had increased the exposure in the VRB, my guess is when I switched from RT to ADV, or CUDA to CPU or something that closed the VFB, the exposure settings and color correction settings went back to default and turned off. I'll have to watch out for that...whatever I did that reset the VRB settings.