Should i overclock the cpu

Dear all.

i have 6700k at stock speed 4 ghz. and im planning to overclock at 4.5 ghz.

the question is it worthed the performance gain in rendering?

and do the cooler master 212 could handle the temp at 4.5 ghz ?

ambient temp in here indonesia is quite high about 36 degree celcius without air conditioning.

thanks in advance

Doesn't hurt to try.

Temperatures don't hurt the CPU, vCore does. vCores up to 1.4V are safe for the Skylake architecture and lithography.

I would expect you to comfortably hit 4.5GHz with 1.35V or less. Many people do that with 1.3V, but of course it depends on your chip, as each one behaves that little bit differently.

The CM212 should handle it, but I do expect temps to be high with a 35oC ambient. Again, no need to panic or over-sweat it. Some people are going nuts if the CPU temp flirts with 60oC, others say the upper limit is 80oC. Intel thinks the limit is 100oC and sets thermal throttling there.

I personally don't like it running super hot, not of fear of damaging it, but running super hot = your room gets super hot, even with AC!

Again, you pretty much cannot damage the CPU with heat...it will shut down on you. But more heat = more power drawn = more stress on the MoBo, so a low quality mobo or a random component failure in a good mobo might bring your system down, so be conservative.

Benefits for overclocking will approach close to what you expect, i.e. 10~12%.

The 6700K is pretty high clocked already, so 4 -> 4.5GHz is not a huge boost, vs say the 2011-3 CPUs that are far more conservatively clocked.

I personally don't like it running super hot, not of fear of damaging it, but running super hot = your room gets super hot, even with AC!

I am always baffled by this logic :- ) Unless I have different understanding of thermodynamic laws (could be, I am not exactly brightest), the heat gets generated all the same, only difference is how fast it's transferred away from source.

You could have the best water-cooling setup freezing the cpus in world, and it would heat the room all the same.

I better know, my Xeon farm is running havoc on my non-AC-ed livingroom in summer :- D

Anyway, rest is great advice as usual. But brr, running 4.5Ghz on CM212 makes me shudder :- D

yes sir. if i wanna performance gain then i would like to add some render node instead of overclock. now im very happy because im moved to cold area in foot of merapi mountain. its very breeze and ambient temps drop to 15 degree celcius.

IMG_20161024_085757.JPG

IMG_20161024_085746.JPG

IMG_20161024_085721.JPG

IMG_20161024_085706.JPG

IMG_20161024_085654.JPG

IMG_20161024_085607.JPG

IMG_20161024_085547.JPG

Edited by ninoanurogo

I am always baffled by this logic :- ) Unless I have different understanding of thermodynamic laws (could be, I am not exactly brightest), the heat gets generated all the same, only difference is how fast it's transferred away from source.

You could have the best water-cooling setup freezing the cpus in world, and it would heat the room all the same.

Yes, yes, you are totally correct...

What I meant was hot as in watts...CPU power draw gets exponentially higher with higher clocks:

Even if we did not increase the Voltage, the added frequency equals with more cycles = more electrons moving back and forth per second = more heat.

If we increase the voltage = we increase the current through the CPU as the resistance is (for our purposes) constant, and heat gets increased to the square of the added current...

Now, combine added current AND higher frequency of that current = LOTSA heat.

Thus, even though 1.4V is "safe" in the example of the Skylake 4C, we are benchtesting and trying to get it as low as possible...not just to be easy on the CPU, but because the difference could be a 200W heat source next to our ... legs, or a 240W heat source or a 180W heat source. Makes a difference.

What I meant, was that overtime I value a well balanced, low consumption overclock, even though I could go higher should I opt for a more aggressive Vcore increase cause I don't like sweating next to it...even the AC cannot keep up when the heat-source is right next to you.

But you were right: regardless of how 200W are cooled, directly through air-coolers or indirectly through water cooling, 200W of heat will be dumped in the room. The CPU might be running cooler under water, but this favors only itself...the person next to a CPU overclocked to 200W+ consumption that is water cooled to 45oC, or heating 80oC under a CM212, will still experience a 200W+ space heater in both cases, just the same.

Gotcha :- )

I always ran only moderate clocks because eventually the rendertimes got so long anyway the added performance was negligible compared to my heightened fear my house will burn down when I leave it running 24/7 and go for hiking trip (I know...but I have lot of irrational fears).

Well, that is a 1st for me as a counter-argument, but I can totally respect it =).

For a scale-able application, like with multiple render nodes, the hassle of optimizing multiple overclocks is not very rewarding. You can just switch to 2P/E5 or E3 Xeon Nodes and lose that option completely...and live happily ever-after =)

For your actual workstation and anything that will be single-thread limited tho, returns for the time invested are more tangible.