Feedback on Exterior Rendering

davidweir

1476650942.jpg

Studio/Institution: Dave Weir
Genre: Retail Exterior
Software: SU 2016, VRay 2, PS
Description:

Hello All. This is my first post here and I am hoping to get some input on this rendering. I am very new to Photorealistic Rendering, and while I feel like I am coming along ok, there are still a few areas where I am at a total loss.

One note, I used 3d people in this image. What are peoples thoughts on 3d people in the model vs 2d people in post processing?

So, here is the base reference photo of a building that is being remodeled:

Base Photo 161016.jpg

Here is the Raw Rendering:

Raw Rendering 161016.jpg

And the Final Image:

Final Rendering 161016.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I think that background needs to be brighter, the buildings and the sky. Look how bright the sky is in the reference photo, and in your rendering you moved the sun to behind the camera, so the buildings should be brighter.

The 3D people fit well, and work OK for people in the distance.

To my eyes, the architecture seems too busy. I know architects like the 45 angle shadows on the facade but in this case since there is so much going on, I think a softer lighting or maybe a back lighting could help. For instance the photo reference you have.

Eliminating the hard shadows over that side of the building and making the glass a little less see thru. maybe a softer tint so it read better as a element would cut the many articulations that are now on the image.

Delete the biker, it is not adding anything to the image. It seems strange that you have half a Prius and half biker.