Light leaking in Vray for Sketchup

kelvintaylor

Hello there,

I've been having issues with vray lights leaking on the other side of surfaces. I've tried to add an additional interior structure to stop any light from transmitting through as well but it doesn't seem to help. The lights are also not double sided so they shouldn't be illuminating behind them (I think).

14.jpg

If you look on the top of the light surrounding the steps you can see it leaking quite noticeably.

Light diagram.jpg

I added a inner surface to try to fix this. It didn't work however.pencil.png

This also depend of what type of Gi are you using.

Any ways I would model that area as a C shape with thickness, then place inside a rectangle light or a cylindrical or whatever fit there.

Not sure if you can use shapes as light on V Ray for sketchup. but a rectangle light should do fine.

Do not use the same geometry as light source.

Not sure if I read correctly your screen shot. To explain my comment, please referrer the image bellow.

It would be better if you use the option B instead the option A.

even tho you have a geometry with some thickness, if this surface is not thicker than the radius of interpolation for Light cache, the sample will cross that surface, creating the light leak.

One easy way to check if it is your geometry or not, is render brute force, if there is not light leak then you know you need to refine your light cache and Irradiance. smaller samples, but you'll need to increase the amount of them to compensate.

Also you could try to un-check retrace on Light cache

LightLeak.jpg