Using imported .3DS model from furniture manufacturer

pascalmarolla

Hello guys,

I´m trying to use imported furniture models directly downloaded from the manufacturers website.

In this case they provide files in .3DS as well as .DWG Format.

After importing it to 3DS Max, I have difficulties using the model as the faces seem not to be smoothed at all. Also there are several faces randomly flipped.

When rendered out the model looks quite bad (hard edges) and is not usable at all.

When I try to apply Turbo smooth modifier it becomes a total mess. I also tried edit normals modifier -> unify without success.

Any suggesstions how I could clean the mesh and make it look good when rendered?

Please take a look at the attacched Screen shot (Twin chair by Brunner):

twin chair.jpg

Edited by pascalmarolla

You will most likely save time trying to create your own chair with the help of the DWG`s. The problems with smoothing usually comes from verteces that are not welded properly, so when you apply a turbosmooth it will look pretty bad. Given how long it takes to create a usable model from these kind of files, it will probably be economical for you to visit some of the sites that sell furniture models and just buy one if you can find it.

Thank you Nicolai. I was hoping there was some kind of of workaround I did not know about.

As you said, creating a model would take too much time and would not be economically feasible. The Problem with this particular chair is that I could not find it on any site for sale. I will continue my search however.

Best regards

I have used downloaded manufacture models. You need to go to vertex mode, select all, weld option and right-click on the roller to set it to 0, then up click the arrow once so it's at it's lowest setting, sometimes it will still read 0. Weld, then apply a smooth modifier to the model. You'll have to do this for each piece. Turbo Smooth on CAD data does not work well at all.

Sometimes you will have to go to face mode and flip those random faces and fill holes. It can take a while, but it's usually faster and more accurate than modeling them. However, because some of the geo is reduced to low poly or some bad tessellation, you may need to remodel some parts if they are close to the camera in your rendering.

that actually looks decent compared to most manufacturer models I see. The arm geometry is very coarse so I'd suggest remodeling those as they are pretty simple elements to recreate in Max natively. No amount of welding and smoothing will fix those chunky corners but the seat mold itself will probably turn out okay. Honestly, as much stuff as there is out there to purchase, investing in some hard surface modeling skills continues to pay off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pascal, our experience with online 3d model resources is that the standard of the geometry /detail varies hugely. We typically google the item we're need to see if it's on turbosquid / designconnected / cgtrader (or similar). If it's complicated we usually buy it there straight away, if it's simple we check the manufacturer's website. You can spend a lot of time messing with entourage models so we find that the convenience of getting the ready-to-go vRay model is worth the cost (though I think the costs have been creeping up lately). Also, if you're doing Architectural interiors, I'd advise you to get a few evermotion collections as these are a great "base library" to have available.

Good luck

Jesper Pedersen

http://www.pedersenfocus.ie