How did you start your Arch Viz journey?

katylou

Wanted to get some insight to how you guys have started your careers in the arch viz industry?

I started by studying 3D Modelling which I eventually went on to do my degree in 3D Animation, however my work was poor. I did further training by studying more, following tutorials, using my spare time to practice and improve my skills which is where I am now. Because of my previous work experience in showroom design, I now work as a Kitchen Planner for a large international company, although its an amazing opportunity with great prospects, I don't want to get too comfortable as it's heavily focused on customer service and weekend work (which doesn't pay too well either...)

Any of you have any careers advice? Would like to know as I am a new to the industry and really want some clear guidance.

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than bore you with a personal story of my journey that ended up in ArchVis, which wouldn't really give you the information you're after, I'll tell you something you probably have heard before.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know." The modern version of which is, "It's not who you know, it's who knows you."

My first full-time 3D job came to me via a friend I went to college with. My first freelance clients came from a colleague I become friends with at that first job. New clients came from old clients. My current full-time job came about from querying multiple designers I had grown to know over time via my freelance clients.

Push your quality and skillset to be the best you can, of course that's #1, because it bolsters confidence that helps with #2. That is, to make and keep industry contacts. It's not easy to start, but if you put yourself out there, show your work online in a compelling manner, and find networking opportunities, eventually things will click. I was never good at networking personally (still not good at it in my 40s!) but all it took was one good connection and the realization that those sayings above can really be as simple as they sound.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

LOL!

Hey Robert, are you still experimenting with unreal? The last video I saw from you was inspired my 432 park avenue and it looked nice.

I'm working on a high end kitchen (kinda like Poliform) scene /configurator. I think I nailed my G.I!

I found a new fantastic source for ue4 materials. The ''updated'' substance source Library. Man, for 19,99$/month you have all allegorithmic's Tools + the Library. Each material weight a few kb only, it's ridiculous. Most are procedural, you can have ton of variations for each mat. https://source.allegorithmic.com/#/substances/home

LOL!

Hey Robert, are you still experimenting with unreal? The last video I saw from you was inspired my 432 park avenue and it looked nice.

I'm working on a high end kitchen (kinda like Poliform) scene /configurator. I think I nailed my G.I!

I found a new fantastic source for ue4 materials. The ''updated'' substance source Library. Man, for 19,99$/month you have all allegorithmic's Tools + the Library. Each material weight a few kb only, it's ridiculous. Most are procedural, you can have ton of variations for each mat. https://source.allegorithmic.com/#/substances/home

Hey Phillippe,

I haven't used it in awhile, I need new hardware! I have to crack it open so I don't forget everything. I'd like to see what you're up to with it, especially the G.I. Thanks for the link I'll check that out.

Edited by innerdream

Any of you have any careers advice? Would like to know as I am a new to the industry and really want some clear guidance.

I think getting involved with the CG community in groups, will help in many ways. Pay attention to those who are in the position you would like to be in. Commenting in groups and on forums, will enhance your knowledge (broadly and finely) and your profile. Helping others will solidify your understanding of subjects. Talk to those whose work you admire, and engage in conversation, so as to glean insight into the thinking and experiences behind their success. Avoid listening to the opines of those whose work is clearly sub-par (obviously), but be generous with your own knowledge. Have high standards, demonstrate them, learn in the ways I have described, and when you're ready to apply for your ideal job, you should have improved confidence, a matured portfolio, the respect of your peers, and some good contacts. I don't think having loads of profiles with various little-utilised social media portfolio sites will help much, but active contributions in active forums will. See you around the internet. :)

I've always liked to draw so I was always being pulled away from CD to work on renderings. Then eventually I went out on my own. CONSTANT work on improving is essential.

I think you should try to pin down your personal agenda as specifically as possible. Your present situation with IKEA seems like a really good place to be as far as learning from co-workers who are more advanced that you.

There are no secret formulas - the more effort you put into actively improving your work quality the sooner you will be able leap frog into better work situations.

Your side business might be a hindrance - it will take time away from your 3D work/learning and people will be wary of someone who's not 100% committed to their professional services. It is good business experience though.

good luck.

I think getting involved with the CG community in groups, will help in many ways. Pay attention to those who are in the position you would like to be in. Commenting in groups and on forums, will enhance your knowledge (broadly and finely) and your profile. Helping others will solidify your understanding of subjects. Talk to those whose work you admire, and engage in conversation, so as to glean insight into the thinking and experiences behind their success. Avoid listening to the opines of those whose work is clearly sub-par (obviously), but be generous with your own knowledge. Have high standards, demonstrate them, learn in the ways I have described, and when you're ready to apply for your ideal job, you should have improved confidence, a matured portfolio, the respect of your peers, and some good contacts. I don't think having loads of profiles with various little-utilised social media portfolio sites will help much, but active contributions in active forums will. See you around the internet. :)

Great advice!