making the right decision

jeffstone

Hello everyone :),i'm Jeff from Tanzanian ,i am a self taught 3d artist and work in an architectural visualization firm ,I wondered whether I can get some advice from you guys. The problem that I have is that I am paid peanuts compared to what the guys who hired me are earning from the renders:(. I don't know everything and I still have alot to learn but I can make better renders compared to the guys I work for.

Before I started working there I found it very hard to find work since there isn't much of an archviz industry where I come from even though there's alot of real estate development ,to be honest the people here don't know much about Archviz and how it can help them with there projects.

I wanted to start my own archviz firm and I was wondering whether it was the right decision, I know starting a business is hard but I am willing to face the challenges .

If you were in my position what would you do and how would you go about it ?Also don't worry about hurting my feelings:p just tell as it is.

being able to create images is only a small part of being successful in this business for very long. Imagine trying to find a new job every week. If you found it difficult to find employment with a studio that funnels work directly to your desk, how much more difficult will it be for you to do that yourself while also being responsible for doing the work? creatively talented people are usually horrible business people and vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with John, You mentioned that they get paid more than what they pay you, you need to consider that they have cost to keep their business moving, Transportation, Software, Hardware, their salaries, your salary, office supplies and more. If you can compare your salary with other arch Viz in your area then you can decide if you are under payed or it is the normal.

If you think you are under payed, then a hones talk with your boss is the best way to go, you can tell them how good you are, you can show then how good are you for the company and how a better investment of them with you as a professional will be better for the company.

If after all that things don't get better, well then you need to start to look around for other alternatives.

But be careful, self criticism should be honest enough to compare yourself with similar professional, some people believe they are better than what they actually are, or they think freelancing will be easier.

Review your portfolio, time of production, and compare with others then you can decide how much you worth. and present that to your bosses.

Hello everyone :),i'm Jeff from Tanzanian ,i am a self taught 3d artist and work in an architectural visualization firm ,I wondered whether I can get some advice from you guys. The problem that I have is that I am paid peanuts compared to what the guys who hired me are earning from the renders:(. I don't know everything and I still have alot to learn but I can make better renders compared to the guys I work for.

Before I started working there I found it very hard to find work since there isn't much of an archviz industry where I come from even though there's alot of real estate development ,to be honest the people here don't know much about Archviz and how it can help them with there projects.

I wanted to start my own archviz firm and I was wondering whether it was the right decision, I know starting a business is hard but I am willing to face the challenges .

If you were in my position what would you do and how would you go about it ?Also don't worry about hurting my feelings:p just tell as it is.

The business is over saturated and unless you can offer something of value other than what is already out there you will be in for a lot of work to get it rolling. 3D rendering is a commodity mostly now not an art form, low bid best quality wins 90% of the time. Can you become Dbox etc.? Of course but not everyone can become that type of company.

Edited by innerdream