How to achieve glass reflections like this

pawelstasik

It's my first post here so hello everyone:) I''ve been trying to make beautiful glass reflections (in cinema 4d + vray) like these on the picture:

https://www.homekoncept.com.pl/produkt/projekt-domu-homekoncept-18/

but unfortunately mine aren't that reflective and on the same time refractive. I've tried many different settings but it still doesn't look like this. Do you think it was made inside a 3d app (and if so do you know some magic settings?:) or later in the post production?

Thanks for help

Like everybody mentioned already, Glass it is all about reflections, so if there is no environment or other objects around, it won't reflect anything.

On VRay by default index of reflection and refraction are connected, but you can unlock this and leave refraction 1.56 and up the reflections to 2.2 or so. more than that it start to look like mirror or chrome, so don't go crazy on that.

fro me 2.2 is a sweet spot.

Put some surroundings trees, 2d or 3D or place photo panels behind the camera, but they will reflect in your glass and give more live to your scene.

Also use solid glass, not single plane.

Thanks for help everyone:) With good camera angle, high reflectivity and trees located close to the windows it looks better now. I have one more question. I'm still a student and I've been learning Cinema 4D for months and I really like it but are there some big advantages of 3ds Max which makes 3ds Max much better choice than C4D for architectural visualization? If so is it still worth it to say Cinema goodbye and start learning Max?

But have you switched from Cinema or from other app? If cinema then how do you think, is Max easier or harder to learn than Cinema? I mean modelling tools, materials and just everything that's important for architecture.

And one question about render engines. I've been learning Vray but what do you think about Octane? Does anybody of you use it?

Edited by pawelstasik

I switched from FormZ. Took me maybe 2 months to be able to model anything, I am sure it will be faster for you. Did it for all the resourses and most of all to be able to handle very large projects, like city blocks with lots of trees.

I have used mental, octane, corona, and Vray. Vray took me a long time to learn compared to the others. But always come back to it becuase it is the best in quality and speed. I need a lot of speed and I don´t have the most powerfull computer in the world. I love using Corona, but for some scenes it is too slow. I recomend Octane only if you have more than one very powerful GPUs in your PC.

I have GTX 1070 and my CPU is i5 6600 so it could be better but could be worse but I don't have any plans for changing CPU or buying second GPU in the near future so do you suggest to keep rendering using CPU or this single GTX 1070 could render faster than i5 6600? My only plans are to upgrade RAM memory from 16GB to 32 because cinema crashed many times during rendering some bigger scenes with detailed houses and many trees around and even though I use clones/proxies all the time I had to remove some things or render in parts but isn't MAX even more RAM consuming/heavier? I've downloaded trial version and it opens up much longer than cinema and everything seems to work slower and my first impression was omg what a mess comparing to "clear" and "light" Cinema but maybe after a few days of learning it we could become friends;D

Edited by pawelstasik