opening and saving 3ds max file takes too long PLEASE HELP

jakubrozanski1

Hello,

I am using the Max 2017 with the latest update.

I am looking for a word of advise on an issue that I am having with my current project..

The scene that is around 150 mb is taking 20 min to open.. and another 20 min to save.. Merging or coping is the same.. xrefs too.

I tried the following:

Retimers clean - no result

I tried the following scripts: Cleaner - no results

I tried the following scrip : trackViewNodes[#Max_MotionClip_Manager].track = copy trackViewNodes[#Max_MotionClip_Manager].track (after saving and trying to re open the file max crashes - no result)

The file when it saves does get stuck on the 32 kb for a while.. but I think that is 'compress on save'.

I tried to re open the scene in 2016 - the same isssue

I tired to open it on different machine - the same result

Part of the geometry was imported from sketch up.. but that didnt cause any problems at the begining of the project.

I have proxied everything, and everything is asset tracked to one place.

Any suggestions how to get it to work? I noticed the scene is also consuming a lot of RAM when opening.

Thank you in advance

Sounds like there may be a network bottleneck? are there large bitmaps loading for materials in addition to the model itself? If those assets are reading through a slow network, that may be causing the long load times.

I agree with this, it could be the network and the number of xrefs involved. At work we have a tool to localize our scenes to work on them, then push them back to the network when we are done. You can keep the master scene file on the network and copy the xerfs and maps to a local project folder. If your paths are all relative, you shouldn't have any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that simply selecting everything in the scene -> "save selected," then make a new scene and -> "merge" has worked for this problem in the past. The file can accumulate things that are not part of your actual scene. (I seem to remember reading them described as "markers" but I think that's wrong.) Just know it can work for purging out whatever can slow down load times.

Edited by kirstenzirngibl