Kindly help me with this render

ad5

Hi,

I am trying to render this exterior scene in 3ds max with vray 3.4, but there seems to be something wrong, and I really don't know what. I have tried many ways but it doesn't looks to get fixed in any ways. Please guys help me setup the render settings, vray camera settings, hdri, etc. I am not a very experienced guy, so a help will be a life saver for me.

This is what I am getting in render:

something_wrong.jpg

Link to file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcvv0s6t91bkd2k/house.zip?dl=0

Looking forward to your help.

Thanks

At a glance:

1) You've not got any lights in your scene. Lighting via the environment slot is not how to set up HDRI lighting. This is likely the cause of the problem.

2) You're using the irradiance map, this won't help either. Try brute force, or if not brute force then higher settings.

3) You're using the old/obsolete VRay camera.

4) You've clamped your output (why?)

5) You're using sub-pixel mapping (why?)

6) Your light cache settings are quite low.

7) You aren't even using VRay materials(!).

The whole file smacks of someone following random tutorials all offering you different "these settings are amazing!!111", try reading the actual VRay manual and learning what all of the settings actually DO. There is no shortcut to being good at it.

Edited by Macker

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes thats right, renders like this deserve to suck as bad as it can, lol.

1) You've not got any lights in your scene. Lighting via the environment slot is not how to set up HDRI lighting. This is likely the cause of the problem. - (Ok, I will try to do the other way, I used Vray Sun, but its not giving me bluish tint, its giving me a yellowish tint)

2) You're using the irradiance map, this won't help either. Try brute force, or if not brute force then higher settings. - (I will look into that)

3) You're using the old/obsolete VRay camera. - (I am using Vray 3.4, this is the only camera I got in there)

4) You've clamped your output (why?) - Maybe switched it on by mistake

5) You're using sub-pixel mapping (why?) - Same as above

6) Your light cache settings are quite low. - Yes made it so, for test rendering

7) You aren't even using VRay materials(!) - I wanted to setup the light first

Yes following digital tutors, because I dont have a good tutor over here who can teach me this stuff from over the shoulder.

Will look forward to your reply.

Thanks

I see this problems all the time, new users of VRay, moving all controls here and there and wondering why is not looking great.

Please reset all the controls. Go to your render windows, and change the render engine from VRay to Scanline, then change it again to VRay, this will reset your settings to default.

Then place a VRay sun and Sky combo, just place the sun and the sky is placed by it self!!.

Put your Sun about 35 degrees and click render, you should see an image 100% times better than anything you tried before.

Later you only need to change the progressive antialising from 1 min to Zero (0) and let is cook. when done you'll get a decent image. nothing else to move.

Forget about the 90% of tutorials online, they are all outdated with old VRay settings.

VRay by default should work fine.

As mentioned by Chris, take a good look at the help and manual of VRay it is very well explained every single part of the software, but honestly, defaults and preset should work good most of the time.

Hi Francis, thanks for your reply and the tips you gave. Can you please provide me the modified file with the render settings, so that I can take a look at it myself, to have a better understanding? It will be really helpful.

Will look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Ah man... Online tutorials... when I started to learn v-ray (with 2.0 or something) every tutorial was proposing different settings, no one would explain how things actually work, it was just about mindlessly copying the settings. Results were always awful. Thanks god today things have been simplified quite a bit. Corona/v-ray default settings give good results straight out of the box. Make sure you have a recent version of v-ray though!