Converting multiple .max files?

williamek

Hi!

I have a massive library of .max files that I need to convert to a format that can be read by Maya.

There are way too many files to go through them one by one and convert them manually, so I'm wondering if there's a way of converting multiple .max files to something like obj, fbx, ma or mb without having to go through and do it all manually?

Cheers!

I would look at Project Manager by Kstudio

https://3d-kstudio.com/product/project-manager/

We converted our entire library from vray to corona using this plugin, removed missing plugins and re-linked all missing textures at the same time. (over 90,000 max files)

Took about 3 days, it opens each file and does the list of things you chosen (you can run additional scripts you have in your own library too)

Hope this helps

Edited by redvella

for architecture yes. Its still great for product renders and vfx stuff (easy to render characters and cheat FX)

Corona changed my entire way of working, I focus entirely on design now - I haven't even looked at a render setting in 6 months, light/material subdiv, no tweaking fake GI bounces, no camera setting/exposure adjustments (all tonemapping done in VFB)

Yes. I was an avid vray user since 2007, and Tech Director for an animated series for 2 years - studying vray and tweaking it for our pipeline etc.

These days simplicity gets my attention, I want results, I want them now and I dont want to search forums or adjusting settings learning how to fix things (I think ive read spot3d entire manual 3 times over - never once for corona). And you are correct, Brute Force takes out a lot of the pain. Again, its about workflow - I think if vray works for you, you should use it its brilliant software and its optimized very well now.

Previously I would have never switched renderers mid production - but thats exactly what we did because at that point I could see the benefits. Our workflow requires clients/directors adjusting lighting, material and post production changes on the fly, having the tonemapping/lightmix in Corona realtime enables us to deliver quickly with high quality. Its personal preference really, I think they are both powerful in their own ways - however when you have that eureka moment after 10 years of dealing with technical issues - its quite a relief.

Edited by redvella