Please help me improve.

virgilioverga

1484391367.jpg

Studio/Institution: VIVE Architectural Designs
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: SketchUp, 3ds Max, Photoshop
Description:

Hello guys, could you help me improve my rendering?

It has been a while since i started using 3ds Max and vray to create renderings but i found myself unimproved. My outputs are too bad and does not satisfy me. I have already watch video tutorials and read some articles for techniques and others but still i dont know what i am missing.

I've been reading forums from different CG websites lately and thought of sharing my renderings for comments and critiques to help me improve.

I hope you can share your knowlegde with me. Thank you.

7 - STOREY SCHEMATIC.jpg

BAGO APLAYA.jpg

Edited by virgilioverga

Hi Virgilio,

It looks like you've got off to a promising start. The two areas that you could concentrate on now are lighting and texturing.

First of all I would recommend that you hunt round on the internet for some precedent images to help guide you. A pinterest board can be great for grouping these all together.

With some precedent images to guide you start tweaking the lighting round until you find something that works for your shot. Start with the big overall lights and slowly work in - so get the hdri or sun just right before worrying about street lights or interior lights etc. Both of your shots look like they are taken a little too close to midday, generally the windows between dawn and a couple of hours after dawn, and a couple of hours before dusk until dusk are a good starting point.

When you've got the lighting working for you have a look at your texturing - a lot of your textures tile and look rather flat. Again study precedent images. Find a picture of metal cladding and see how it looks and then spend some time trying to imitate it. I bet you'll find that panels are rarely perfectly flat and so create a few bump maps and apply them at random to your panels. In both your images the road takes up a lot of the shot, so spend some time making it look right - gutters, man hole covers, painted lines, etc.

Finally, although maybe this should be firstly, I would turn off some/all of your people and cars. Vehicles can be helpful for hiding unresolved bits of your model but if that's how you're using them take some time to make sure the textures are as good as they can be. People can be tricky and so have a look at good examples of them in architectural photography to guide you.

I hope this is helpful!

All the best,

James