Christmas Money!

Devin Johnston

I've been told that I have about $500 left in my yearly budget to spend on new software. I've been looking at some of the car and people collections that Marlin Studios has, and also the 3D Multicar plug-in that's on 3dmilticar.com. I'm wondering if there is anything else that I should consider that some of you find useful in your day to day work. It doesn’t have to be car or people related, could even be a utility or a stand alone application. So let me have it, tell me what your best program or plug-in is that is less than $500!

What about the Dosch libraries? The new vehicle library has about 15 high quality cars, and was a tad over $100 for the library. Or maybe their other libraries? I'd love to get one of their HDRI libraries, but I'm not as fortunate to have - what did you call it? - a budget? LOL!!!! I could only wish. I have to wait for clients to request something special before I can convince anyone to buy me any goodies. :(

Love the stuff I've got from both Marlin Studios and Dosch Design - and with that much cash, if spent right, you could a lot of really good stuff.

I use my cars from Dosch almost daily (their regular selection not the new one released this week). They work great for all but close-ups and it looks like the one released this week will work great even for close-ups.

Think my next purchase will be low poly people from axyz-design...now if I can get my clients to pay before the end of the year...

Recently I became dissatisfied with the quality of my clip maps and so I did some research and decided to go with got3D. I couldn't be happier! I tried the samples from marlin and dosch and in my opinion they were not as high quality as got3D especially for close ups. I bought the trees from the store and then signed up to be a member for a month and downloaded tons of other stuff like fall trees, people, flowers, bushes, and textures, and it all cost less than $200. Anyway, might be worth considering if you need that sort of thing.

Thanks guy's, these are a lot of great suggestions!

I've checked out the Dosch libraries, they look good but do they work better than RPC people? I've got tons of RPC people, cars and trees and most of the time they are fine, but I've found that they don't work well when using a GI application like Final Render. I don't know if the Marlin Studios people will work any better since they are just billboards of people with an alpha channel.

I've also looked at the axyz design libraries, I like the idea of being able to put a model in what ever position I may need. Since there 3D models they should work with Final Render and I could get all 3 libraries for about $300. The only thing I don't like is most of the images they have in their gallery look fake. Has anyone used them in a rendering or animation, and can they look real?

Recently I became dissatisfied with the quality of my clip maps and so I did some research and decided to go with got3D. I couldn't be happier!.
That's good to know...Iv'e been eyeing their stuff lately, glad to hear someone's experience with them is good.

Of course there's always the old standby ImageCels.....They have really good climate specific librarys of plants.

-Chad

Take a look at Bionatics' 50% sale...with half of that Christmas money, you could purchase a 20 tree credit for EASYnat! If you are looking to improve your foliage library with photo-realistic trees and plants, then now is definitely the time to check out www.easynat.com!