New Chaos Group Labs post explains V-Ray Swarm

Christopher Nichols

Will this be rolled out to Max or Maya at some point or are we stuck with basic DR?

It would be great to integrate this with the license monitoring UI so you could see how many licenses are available before selecting the DR pool.

Nothing like selecting 25 systems when there are only 2 DR licenses available....

• 2 weeks later...

Lol. Yeah very surprised max is not first out for swarm. Might be that they are still unsure about how things are working, and that they want to roll it out on platforms with less catastrophe results if it shows to be unstable. Maybe the GPU render and activeshade and all this makes things more complicated so they need to test the other parameters throughoutly in the real world first, without interruption and extended trouble with troubleshooting.

I hope so. But it should at least be in some kind of beta for max. Anyone knows? Swarm would definitely be a huge changer.

So what you're saying is that Vray for revit, rhino and sketchup are all based on vray stanadalone?

Here are what chaos group write:

"New to V-Ray for Revit, V-Ray for Rhino, and V-Ray for SketchUp, we are introducing V-Ray Swarm, which is an evolution of Distributed Rendering. It allows you to tap into all of that computer power with just a slider. It also allows you to monitor and manage the entire Swarm through a web interface."

So they're basically implementing it in software which all are competitors to a lot of the work we do. I think this is a sign that we're soon to be obsolete. We've already started to loose all masterplan and aerial views to people who run regulations using infraworks and civil. Now our argument with good rendering through DR is also void. We're left with a less viable renderfarm solution than amateurs who sells illustrations to satisfied customers with just a mouse click.

At least they're not helping us with staying competitive.

Edited by chroma

Well, I don't work for Chaos group and I don't have direct input with them either, but I am just trying to apply 'logical' thinking to the things I know. and this is me only, not trying to run over any other opinion here.

What you are saying may be true or not. I think is easy to assume that there is something behind and some evil master planing cooking behind the scenes, but most of the time are just simple decisions or it just happened. Is like talking about life it self, some people believe it was a God's creation, other think it was a logical evolution, and other people think it just happens to happen.

From a developer point of view is always better to develop something that is not single software dependent, because as you mentioned if that software die, then yours will too die. 3D Max, usually keep most of their base code ( that's why is so clumsy) but there are big changes too every year. Most render engines try to separate them self of the base code of Max, for many reasons. Whiting this thinking it would be a lot 'easy' for chaosgroup to modify their standalone software as they need it, skipping some limitations that 3DMax could give them. Then development can move faster.

Having said all that, what you mentioned that nowadays more CAD and 3D app can run same renders engine or produce high quality images without the need to exporting to a dedicate software, well yes, that's true and there is nothing we can do about it.

That's why we should not sell our self as a render monkey, but as a Visualization service that not only can 'render' but guide you and help you to produce better promotional images/videos/ realtime and so on.

We will have less calls than before, sure. But as long we stay on the edge of technology, we prove that is not only the image they are paying for then we stay relevant and need it ;)

Were I work these past years I introduce them to LUMION, great idea or big mistake?? well not sure, lots of designers are doing early rendering them self now lots of them and some quick fly around.

Because of that I don't get to deal with those shitty quickly renders that I really hate it to do it, Now most of my work is high end renders and touch those projects when all small details are revised. I get scare sometimes? sure, but this give me more time to learn VR and real time and the company is loving it. Here they tell me almost every day they could not live without my help.. so i guess we are safe for a while ;)

Edited by fco3d