General Render (?) Question

thomasbauer

Helloooo CGarch people :)

I aaaaam neeeew here and happy to be here!

for a long time I only sculpted for fun and rendered the stuff out pretty bad so I can paint over.

But by accident my workplace changed and I am starting with products in 3d and visualisations like architectur.

I got a request from a company, the problem: they are using a configurator which uses images, so we have a couch which can have different colors on any part of it. In the end there are like 12000 pictures behind the configurator to load. Basically I have the one model, and the different colors on every part. So far so good.

But do I need to create every combination in photoshop on my own (which would take like weeks or so) or is there something like an automated possibility in the 3d, render or whateverengine/programm?

Or do I miss something :D:o

Thaaaank you

• 2 weeks later...

I modelled a chair and a couch. The chair only has a lot of different colors, this should work wth batch processing in c4d right? But the couch has different parts and different colors. like 10 colors and 3 different parts on the side for the arms and on the back. so in the end there are endless combinations I need to render out so that the client can put them into their configurator.

I would have thought you could get there with probability settings maybe, but if you need to produce 10,000 images in total maybe the answer is to animate the materials. If area A changes every 10th frame while area B changes every frame on a 10 frame cycle you could render all your variations automatically as frames of an animation.

I've done this many times.

The way to do this is in 3ds max is to use two animated Material modifiers with expression controllers. One modifier increments from 1-100:

mod(((abs F)+1),100)

And the other increments every 100 frames:

abs(floor(F/100))+1

Then you run a 10,000 frame animation render, and use a batch renamer or maxscript to assign the proper nomenclature to each render.

(these expressions are off the top of my head; they are probably slightly wrong and should be tested thoroughly. The abs() is because a material modifier can't take a negative number and without it the expression will crash after you close and open the max file)