Exterior siding, definitely work in progress

albertgerard

1485971050.jpg

Studio/Institution: Timber Frames Saskatoon
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: Sketchup 2016, Vray 2.0
Description:

I've been doing interior renderings like a champ for a while. Since I've switched to exteriors I've consistently been hung up with Siding. I know this problem is surmountable but I'd like to know if anyone has run into this problem before. If someone could help me out that would be awesome!

Seems I'm getting somekind of weird sampling on the displacement, it's creating a jagged image. How do you all setup displacement maps for siding like this? Any thoughts?

Edited by albertgerard

My first guess would be that you are not giving the surface enough faces to work with. Try adding a 'quadify mesh' modifier to the object to break up the surface into smaller, uniformly sized pieces.

EDIT: Just realized you are in SketchUp. Not sure what tool would be used to easily break the surfaces up uniformly in that case. Might try just penciling in edges from the corners of all of the cuts?

Edited by beestee

Just realized you are in SketchUp. Not sure what tool would be used to easily break the surfaces up uniformly in that case.

Beasty, nice name, and thanks for the lead! This setting is controlled in the material's 'Maps' settings; where the mesh's size relative to an image pixel can be set. I changed it from 4 to 1 (1 mesh poly per pixel) and it did indeed change the effect.

So, I'm not yet getting smooth siding material, and after a quick search on these forums I see the general consensus is siding should be modeled with geometry. This makes sense because it's been painfully hard to get good results by using this displacement method.

Edited by albertgerard