Multiple monitor set up

Hi guys,

I've finished purchasing all components for new workstations based on your recommendations but I'm revisiting my thoughts on monitors.

I currently use dual Dell U2410 and I love them so far. But my only complaint is that it generates A LOT of heat and sometimes it is uncomfortable to work long hours with it.

Now I'm contemplating whether to go with triple 24" (Dell U2417D) or dual 27" (Dell U2717D). I've never worked on 27" and bit worried it might be too big and make my eyes tired faster, but I'm sure it would be much easier to look at small details in the model with bigger screens.

The reason I'm thinking of triple monitor set up is because in some projects I run out of space in dual set up since I use one monitor for 3dmax, the other for multiple PDFs. So when I run out of monitor space, I plug in my iPAD and use that as 3rd screen but obviously FPS much lower and iPAD cannot be charged while plugged for mirror setting. And if I get 3rd monitor with gas spring monitor arm, I can easily turn it to portrait mode to view long PDF.

Does anyone use triple monitor set up for their workflow? Do you get dizzy or tired easier because of head turning radius is much greater? Which size works best for triple set up?

Also, do you have any recommendations on gas spring monitor stands?

I've been looking at Loctek and Ergotech and they look pretty solid.

Edited by junglee

ive used 3x 24" Eizo monitors - they are great but like you said too much head turning

Currently using 2x 27" Dells, they are good - better resolution @ 4k - you can do a whole lot more and it is easier on the neck and eyes to be honest

My workmate uses 1x 34" curved display - he says no distortion and doesnt need a 2nd monitor.

Id say see if you can sit on a workmates PC and test it out for a day, or do some rental and see how you feel comfortable, ill be definately upgrading to 34" next time.

Here is my experience regarding monitor setup. In the past 4 years I have been working on 2 monitors the latest were 2x24" Dell's the U2415 which are 16:10 aspect ratio by far one of my favorite aspect ratios. 2 months ago I manged to get my hands on an 34" Ultrawide panel also from Dell the U3417w at first I was looking at the LG panels but at the end I decided to go for the Dell since most of my office monitors are Dell's and so far I had great experience with them. Also keep in mind that Dell uses panels from LG so pretty much all of the ultrawides in a similar price range use panels from LG.

Long story short I took a curved panel and initially I was skeptical since many people were saying that you won't be able to do postproduction with straight lines, distortion this and that... To be honest it was all bull sh**.

The curve is and pardon my language again frikin awesome there is no distortion at all, and the immersive feeling during work is so astonishing that to me this is like when for the first time I got my hands on a smartphone after having a nokia 3310 cell... If you ask me the number of monitors is never enough especially when you do a lot of multitasking but I got used to it since it has a great "display manager" software which you can download directly from their site and divide the monitor as you like using predefined divisions or even making a custom template.

I am currently sharing a desk with my colleague and he uses 2x24 Dells and since we don't have space to add another monitor for me I'll be rollin with a single monitor till I get my own desk. But I definitely plan on adding another monitor to the setup since besides normal 3d rendering and modeling work I also do a lot of management and write a ton of emails daily. But for normal work where you model/render look at a reference/surf the web or watch a youtube clip all simultaneously 1 ultra wide of this size is just enough.

One thing is for sure and that is that after using a curved monitor for 2 months I could never go back to a flat one:) I actually sit a few minutes on my colleague's monitors and it felt so strange and wrong haha I know its crazy...

Anyway to answer your question I wouldn't go for a triple setup since usually a triple setup is something like 1 ultrawide and you will turn your head and get neck pain after a while of using so many monitors. 2x24 or 1x27 with 1x24 or even 2x27 is ok or go the ultrawide route like me and experience the technological revelation like myself :).

Edited by VukDjordjevic

I run 3 monitors. One Dell 27 in the center and a Dell 24 on either side.

Personally I have no issues with neck pain. If you have issues turning your head a few degrees in either direction to glance at reference material or read an email etc... then you probably have preexisting neck issues.

I've never had or used a curved monitor so can't comment on how they compare.

Martin

For 34 inches look for DELL U3417w or U3415w where the last 2 numbers represent the year the model is made so the u3417w is the newest model. You can also look for the LG 34UC88-B which pretty much has the same panel as the Dell and is the latest model. All this monitors should be between 750-1050 euros depending from your region price. There are also other models like ASUS and ACER, which go well over 1200 euros but those are 144Hz monitors with same quality panels as the LG and DELL but are meant for gaming and have G-sync.

• 2 weeks later...