Managing of assets in Max - renderfarm

Jon Berntsen

When buying new objects, or relocating libraries, do you remap each object with the asset tracker in each of the separate model files, or do you use user paths on a more top root level? As we're sending to inhouse renderfarm, it's essential to not overload the network, and the current strategy with mapping every new model with the exact map paths is kind of ... time consuming. Just bought a bunch of new models, and I don't want to waste precious time unnecessary.

Looks interesting. Not at the office right now, but do you have to open up each file and then run the script, or can you remap without opening the max files?

Project Manager by Kstudio does exactly this

https://3d-kstudio.com/product/project-manager/

I relinked 90,000 max files in 5 days, i also added to it 2 extra scripts we wanted to run, convert to corona and make file _corona.max, remove missing plugins script.

Every max file in our library is now linked, no missing plugins and saved us an insane amount of time

I've taken a closer look at this. Very well... I got the Relink Bitmaps by Colin Senner to work. So the trick would be to batch it, because the batcher needs maxscript files to process. Relink Bitmaps needs to be opened within a scene, for then to push a button in the interface to run the relink commando.

So, do anyone know how to write a relinking maxscript, with a defined path for searching?

I sure am not experienced enough with maxscript to be able to pull that off without trying for several weeks.

Edit: DOH! Macro recorder should perhaps do it?

Edit 2: Naaa, I will have to get the macro recorder to record what I do inside the Relink Bitmaps script. And it doesn't. :(

Edit 3: OR check the Relink Bitmaps documentation first. It has a syntax to include in a script:

sceneRelinkBitmaps searchArr ignoreCase:[true/false] ignoreExtension:[true/false] recursive:[true/false] undoOn:[true/false] lowMemory:[true/false] allMaps:[true/false] progress:[progressBar]

I'm testing that syntax now.

Edited by chroma

• 3 weeks later...

How did you go? I'm trying same thing as Project Manager is not working for me in 2017

I get stuck on on searchArr:

if doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\C_Lib.mse") and doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink_Lib.mse") and doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink Bitmaps.mse") then (

fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\C_Lib.mse") quiet:true

fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink_Lib.mse") quiet:true

fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink Bitmaps.mse") quiet:true

) else (

MessageBox "Relink Bitmaps files are not in the default installation path. Try reinstalling."

)

sceneRelinkBitmaps

searchArr: #("M:/Stock","X:/")

ignoreCase: true

ignoreExtension: true

recursive: true

undoOn: false

lowMemory: true

allMaps: true

progress: progressBar

-- Error occurred in anonymous codeblock; filename: C:\Users\render\Desktop\Relink.ms; position: 628; line: 10

-- Syntax error: at keyword parameter, expected

-- In line: searchArr: #

Anyone else?

OK... Working WITHOUT array

if doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\C_Lib.mse") and doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink_Lib.mse") and doesFileExist ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink Bitmaps.mse") then (

fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\C_Lib.mse") quiet:true

fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink_Lib.mse") quiet:true

fileIn ((getDir #userScripts)+"\\Relink Bitmaps\\Relink Bitmaps.mse") quiet:true

) else (

MessageBox "Relink Bitmaps files are not in the default installation path. Try reinstalling."

)

sceneRelinkBitmaps "M:\R&D\James\Corona Remote\3DTest\assets" ignoreCase:true ignoreExtension:true undoOn:false lowMemory:true allMaps:true progress:true

Edited by redvella

working WITH array

sceneRelinkBitmaps #("M:\Stock\Models" , "M:\Stock\Materials" , "M:\Stock\Textuers" , "X:\\") ignoreCase:true ignoreExtension:true undoOn:false lowMemory:true allMaps:true progress:true quiet:true

You will still need that chunk of code at the top to reference for this line - hope this helps let me know otherwise