The Brewery

1488358983.jpg

Studio/Institution: Roberts Limbrick LTD
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3ds Max, VRay
Description:

Hey guys, not really a WIP any more - just prefer uploading to the forum rather than the gallery.

This is a project I've been working on recently for a large mixed use development in a town centre (shops beneath these apartments). It's a bit different to the usual stuff that I work on - residential, especially interiors is a rarity for me so it's been a real breath of fresh air for me.

The challenge (from my point of view) was to turn what are fairly small apartments, with a very basic fit-out into something that looks fairly high end and produce some glossy marketing images for brochures, etc. Thankfully the development is in an excellent location, so I don't think they'll have any trouble shifting these apartments, regardless of the choice of worktops and shower units!

I also shot the photography from the top of the building, which was also a challenge as there was a huge amount of scaffolding blocking the views in all directions - so a lot of photoshop went into removing that.

The interiors have been watered down a little to account for the fact that "we're only supplying the apartments with white walls and don't want to mislead anyone". An argument that has always struck me as odd, as you're not supplying the furniture either, and once you've sold the apartment people can decorate the walls. Mind you, in an age where you can sue for just about anything, perhaps it's for the best.

The final renders were 6,000 pixels along their longest edge.

Apt 30 - Camera 03 - 21-02-2017.jpg

Apt 20 - Camera 01 - 27-02-2017.jpg

Apt 20 - Camera 02 - 20-02-2017.jpg

Apt 30 - Camera 01 - 20-02-2017.jpg

Apt 33 - Bathroom - Camera 01 - 20-02-2017.jpg

Apt 20 - Camera 03 - 28-02-2017.jpg

Apt 30 - Camera 02 - 28-02-2017.jpg

Apt 33 - Bedroom 02a - Camera 01 - 24-02-2017.jpg

Apt 20 - Camera 04 - 17-02-2017.jpg

Edited by Macker

Very nice images! I particularly like the detail in the windows...is that all custom modeling? also how did you achieve the background/skyline. Did you use individual images or did you map a cylinder with a panorama? The exposure/blownout feeling of the environment looks great btw! I always struggle with that

Very nice images!

Thank you!

I particularly like the detail in the windows...is that all custom modeling?

Yeah, thankfully the project was far enough along for me to know the manufacturer of the windows that had been specified (kawneer 541 FYI) and just grabbed their CAD details from their website.

also how did you achieve the background/skyline. Did you use individual images or did you map a cylinder with a panorama? The exposure/blownout feeling of the environment looks great btw! I always struggle with that

I went to site and shot some panoramas and (once stitched together) mapped these to a cylinder outside of the windows. I had to make sure that the cylinder didn't contribute to the scene lighting or cast/recieve shadows. Lining up the shots/panoramas was just guesswork/eyeballing - no science involved!

The sky on the panorama's is alpha mapped so that it's transparent - that's the VRay Sky you're seeing above the buildings etc.

The lighting was a simple VRay Sun/Sky and the glare was VRay lens effects. Nothing particularly special there.

Great work Chris! It is allways cool to get to do this kind of renders. I think the choice of furniture works rather well, a lot of the time people try to include all of their cool assets at once and the places seem rather cramped. Better to go for a bit less furniture/assets but focus more on making the place appear stylish and well thought through, and i think you've succeeded in doing so. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Nicolai!

I totally agree about the assets, the temptation to fill each room with stock models was immense haha. What struck me was just how important it is to pick furniture that is the right scale for a room. These are small rooms and a lot of the "high end" furniture that we have on our system just made the rooms look miniscule!

Very nice work. The kitchen is neat and clean, perfect. Especially like the wood of the door. Any chance to PM me the texture of the wood as a JPEG?

It's the European Oak texture from Arroway Wood Vol 1. Worth every penny.

https://www.arroway-textures.ch/en/products/wood-1

Beautiful work!

Thanks!

Nice - very realistic. For the kitchen I would get rid of those angular wall fixtures. The material is so different from everything else and those angular edges are creating a distracting nervous visual energy.

The kitchen shot was one of the hardest simply because it was all white and recieving a lot of direct sunlight - I did several test shots with nothing on that end wall (I think that ought to have been a breakfast bar there, personally) and it just looked so stark and occupied so much of the image that I had to put something there. perhaps a picture or calendar might have worked.

Edited by Macker

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Oh, boy.

This is an excellent project. It is very cohesive, the prominent whites link the images well, creates a unified set. The bathroom could benefit from a slightly different camera angle, it is harsh. I know, tight space to see everything, but the 45 degree camera emphasizes that.

As said by others, the exterior views are well integrated.