Vray shadow catcher-matte-vramtlwrapper problem

dominikmateasik

Hey guys,

so i got a sofa that i need to put into to photo

what i did - put sofa in the scene-matched perspective, put photo as backgorund image (so i can see it in a viewport), put the same bitmap with this photo in enviroment slot, now made a plane and placed it under the sofa-assigned vraytmlwrapper to it so when it renders the plane catches the shadows and are visible in the render but the plane itself is not visible....everything works,i can see my sofa place in right place in the photo with shadows underneath without the plane itself BUT the sofa itself is fricking semi transparent for unknown reason...tried loads of stuff but cant seem to find solution, anybody any advice?

render in attachment

thanks much

Screen Shot 03-02-17 at 08.18 PM.jpg

Hmmm.. I'm not sure as I've not seen this problem, but then I don't use VrayMtlWrapper. I'm trying to think of my settings, but I've not had to do a photomontage like this in a while. Let's see.

Try taking off the VrayMtlWrapper and just do it in settings. Select the plane, right click and select VrayProperties. Set it to a Matt Object and set the alpha contribution to -1.0. Under 'Direct Light' make sure 'shadows' is checked. Note this plane will look like it's rendering when primary and secondary bounces of lighting are calculated, it will then disappear in the render.

There are two environment slots. I always put mine in the Environment and Effects box. I never put it in the vray render settings environment slot. It may work perfectly if you do, I just don't do that. If you want it to appear in reflections then place it in the 'Reflection/refraction environment' slot of the Environment tab of the render settings.

That's how I would set up my scene. There could be several issues with the sofa geometry (I'm assuming you are using Max). First try resetting the xform from the utilities tab. Next turn on backface culling to see if any faces are flipped. Third, a fix which often works for Edit Poly's which just don't make sense is you create box, convert it to edit poly, attach the sofa to it, then delete the box. Somehow, this action often resets the edit poly.

That's what I would do and I believe it would work.

Otherwise, after typing this I just did a quick search online and came across this, which might help:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-shading-lighting-and/my-objects-are-rendering-transparent-when-using-a-background/td-p/4510617

Hope this helps