New monitor at 2560 x 1440 makes me want to have larger text. Is it possible?

Hi there,

I just got a dell U2715H. At the recommended resolution, 2560 x 1440, everything looks fine, except that the text is too small and I'm getting headaches.

I was able to change windows text size for icons and other, but within 3ds Max everything is way too small, including some icons.

Does anyone have a recommendation to increase the size of those things?

Thanks!

I'm on windows 10 BTW

Go into Customize > Preferences

Chose the General tab

Check Use Large Toolbar buttons

For the font size is harder if you are not happy.

You pretty much have to force 3DS to use a modified version of the Tahoma.ttf default font it is set to use.

To modify the font to default to a 125-150% scaling (whatever you did for windows and you like) use Font Forge as described in this tutorial: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=990853

Once you're done with the font, place it to C:\Windows\Fonts as "YOUR_NEW_FONT.ttf" or whatever name you want for it.

Next, in windows registry, navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

and replace

"Tahoma (TrueType)"="tahoma.ttf"

with

"Tahoma (TrueType)"="YOUR_NEW_FONT.ttf"

Note that this change will be universaly applicable to all user interfaces using the Tahoma font by default. And it is not guaranteed to scale perfectly without "breaking" your UI in 3DS, but...it is something.

Hi James,

I actually went the windows UI version of scaling, the one you suggested.

I have it at 125%.

After rebooting it was looking blurry only in some cases. Not in adobe or max.

Now I feel it's too big in some aaplications like chrome or inDesign, but still small in Max or Photoshop.

Don't know. Not very happy with this and makes me wonder if I should've gotten a larger display, same resolution.

Found a solution!!!

This is the link, and I paste the text here too in case the link no longer works in the future:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/11079-fix-windows-10-blurry-text-windows-7.html#post973964

After you apply your desired font size in windows settings (like 125% dpi, I use this with 125%) > Open notepad, paste this into it:

Code:

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f

then save it as .cmd somewhere on your HDD > open local ground policy editor (gpedit.msc from search bar) > In user config (im translating this from my language so there might be little translation differences) > go to Windows Settings > Scripts (login/logout) > In the window on the right double click on Login to open it (because we want this to be applied every time you login) > in Scripts tab, select Add > then in new window select Browser > navigate to where you saved your cmd file and select it > then just press Ok > Apply > Ok > Then sign out/reboot your pc > Login to your account for the first time after adding this script so it will be applied > then if it will not work, Sign out/reboot again and from now on it should work every time (works for me).